mtbr member

Problem with shimano megarange grinding

I posted a thread on here not to long ago on opinions on swithching from a shimano acera to a shimano deore rear derailleur. Well I made the swithch and let me say, the deore shifts like a dream compared to my worn out acera. There is one odd thing that I'm beginning to encounter though. My cassete is a shimano megarange 8 speed, so first gear is a big jump from second gear. Whenever I'm in 2nd gear the chain scrapes against the side of the megarange first gear. While the shifter is 9 speed and the cassette is 8 speed, I read various forums that this setup will work fine. Is that my problem or is the deore just not compatible with megarange? Maybe if I swap out the megarange wih a normal cassette it will solve my problem?

PS I tried adjusting everything: h and l screws, cable tension, b screw, still didnt fix the scraping

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For shimano 8 and 9 speed systems shifter needs to be "speed" matched to the cassette. 8 speed shifters shift 8 speed cassettes etc.

You either need to switch to 9 speed cassette or 8 speed shimano shifter.

MTB B'dos
    If you also got a 9spd shifter with the new RD, then it will not work properly as Uzurpator said, the cogs on a 9spd cassette are spaced closer together and as such the shifter pulls a different amount of cable. 6, 7 and 8 speed cogs were all the same space apart, so you could easily mix and match with any of them. Best bet if you bought the new 9spd shifter and RD is to spend and get the 9spd cassette as well.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    you'll need a chain also
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    The shifters are still 8 speed so I dont see what the problem is

MTB B'dos
    Hum, think this is a diagnose in person type problem, maybe so VERY careful adjustment of the cable tension could fix it Me personally, couldn't ditch that STUPID Mega-Range cassette fast enough, I list it as one of the stupidest ideas to date along with Biopace rings and now PF bottom brackets - the jump between the granny and 2nd largest cog is so great, that when you make the shift, you go from spinning probably already fairly fast to outright insane hamster on crack speed and it just kills your legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkissam View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    first post...
    ........ While the shifter is 9 speed and the cassette is 8 speed, I read various forums that this setup will work fine. Is that my problem or is the deore just not compatible with megarange? Maybe if I swap out the megarange wih a normal cassette it will solve my problem?

PS I tried adjusting everything: h and l screws, cable tension, b screw, still didnt fix the scraping
    then you say....
    I'm a little lost.?

8 and 9 speed shifters/derailleurs/chains and cassette aren't interchangeable.. it's all 8 or all 9... cranks are about the only thing.. I do think Shimano makes a shifter or derailleur that can do both.. but you have to flip a lever or some such thing...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    My mistake what I meant to say is the derailleur is 9 speed and the cassette is 8 speed. Then as I mentioned before the shift lever is still 8 speed.