mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Problem Fitting New PG-990 Cassette

I bought a new SRAM PG-990 11-32 cassette (the one with the cool red Spider) I am replacing a PG-970.

The problem I have is that the PG-990 seems to be a bit wider from the inside-out and there is not enough thread left on the drive shell for the end cap to catch and tighten the cassette. I have swapped out lots of cassttes and this is the first time I've had this issue. Has anyone had trouble with this new PG-990? Am I missing something?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    I bought a new SRAM PG-990 11-32 cassette (the one with the cool red Spider) I am replacing a PG-970.

The problem I have is that the PG-990 seems to be a bit wider from the inside-out and there is not enough thread left on the drive shell for the end cap to catch and tighten the cassette. I have swapped out lots of cassttes and this is the first time I've had this issue. Has anyone had trouble with this new PG-990? Am I missing something?
    If there is a spacer sitting behind the carrier, remove it. Otherwise... No idea... You could try a lockring with more threads on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    both are 9spd, both should be the same overall width. i think you're missing something.

hmm, but can't be sure. i swapped out an older 9spd SRAM for the 990 and had no probs going on a mavic freehub.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the help.

There is no spacer behind the carrier. What is happening is this: I tighten the nut down fairly snug (just shy of where I normaly tighten my cassette) and then the nut spins free again. It feels like a classic case of stripped threads.

I know the threads are not stripped because I am able to thread the nut in completely w/o the cassette installed and my old cassette goes on with no trouble. It just seems like the new cassette is too wide to allow the nut to fully grab the threads in the drive shell
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    Thanks for the help.

There is no spacer behind the carrier. What is happening is this: I tighten the nut down fairly snug (just shy of where I normaly tighten my cassette) and then the nut spins free again. It feels like a classic case of stripped threads.

I know the threads are not stripped because I am able to thread the nut in completely w/o the cassette installed and my old cassette goes on with no trouble. It just seems like the new cassette is too wide to allow the nut to fully grab the threads in the drive shell
    There have been some other recent posts on here where people are complaining of the same problem. The problem turned out to be that the lockring supplied by SRAM can be slightly undersized. Apparently SRAM has admitted to this and it is a hit or miss if you get a bad one.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool

This is news that I was hoping to hear. I was going to email SRAM but they have no email contact info on their web site (that I can find) I will call them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    try to use your pg-970 lock ring ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    try to use your pg-970 lock ring ?

Yes, no luck. Also tried to install the PG-990 on my wife's brand new King hub, same problem. It's gotta be the spacing of the cassette, IMO.