mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Problem: E13 LG1 w/ Evolve XC cranks (with pics)

Appreciate any help, I am reaching the end of my wits on this one.

GUIDE
    2012 E13 LG1, ISCG05

CRANKS
    2008ish Raceface Evolve XC SS
    (Bikeman Race Face Evolve 175mm SS 32/Bash Black/Red Graphics Crankset with X-Drive Bottom Bracket)
    Granny tabs ground down
    Zero spacers

FRAME
    2012 Santa Cruz Nickel
    73mm BB shell
    ISCG05 BB adapter plate from E13 set up with counter bore IN (i.e. moving the guide closest toward the bike)

SETUP
    Non-drive side crank arm > BB cup > Frame > ISCG05 BB plate > BB cup > Drive side crank arm (zero spacers)

PROBLEM
    I've got this set up exactly as the manual calls for, and exactly how I had it all running on my 68mm hardtail (except the hardtail had one 2.5mm spacer on either side). When I tighten the cranks, it pulls the ring all the way to the guide and if I continued, would crush it. Any type of spacer setup to bring the crank away from the BB/guide solves the problem but then my spindle is too short and I cannot finish tightening the cranks without overtightening (I usually bottom the crank bolt out).

I've tried all the spacer setups I can think of, including trying the ring in the outer position. Basically putting the ring in the outer position effectively "widens" the crank/ring interface where it passes through the guide and even with the pieces off of the bike, this is too wide to fit.

Thoughts? Pics follow:

THANKS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Alrighty then. Progress has occurred but still not 100%.

I moved around some spacers on the spindle (hadn't really thought about that before. Basically I moved one 1mm black seal/spacer from the LH to the RH crank arm. This increased my chainline by 1mm which was enough to make the setup work. The ring is not centered in the guide though and I think an additional 1mm of chainline would make this setup cash money.

Here's the current configuration:
    LH crank arm > 2.5mm preload elastometer (black spongy spacer that fits into the crankarm recess) > BB cup > frame > BB cup > ISCG05 BB adapter plate > red seal > (2) 1mm black spindle spacers > RH crank arm

I fear I have maxed out this crankset's chainline and I'll have to live with the heavy rubbing in high (tooth) gears or get a new crankset.

Thoughts?