mtbr member
    Mar 2007

pressure on cranks..jump/skip problem..help!

I have adjusted my rear derailer on my mtn. bike, and everything appears to be inline. However, when I'm in my middle ring up front and apply pressure on my cranks, usually when I stand up, they jump/skip ahead? I can't figure out what's causing this. Is my chain to long/short? Do I need new chain rings? New cassette?

Anyone have some good advice?

thanks!

I Love my Rize

Answer this

Quote Originally Posted by chatta_rider71
    I have adjusted my rear derailer on my mtn. bike, and everything appears to be inline. However, when I'm in my middle ring up front and apply pressure on my cranks, usually when I stand up, they jump/skip ahead? I can't figure out what's causing this. Is my chain to long/short? Do I need new chain rings? New cassette?

Anyone have some good advice?

thanks!
    What cranks do you have? It wouldn't be Shimano XT by any chance would it?
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Meh.
    Does it jump regardless of what gear you are in on the cassette? If so, it probably has to do with either your chain or your chainrings. Check the chain for stretch, tight links, twisted links, etc. Check the chainring for missing or worn teeth, bends, etc.

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    Couple of thoughts but sounds like worn/stretched chain.

1. If the chain is badly worn it will look fine when not moving but stretch and ride over the rear cogs when under load. Simple check is to pull the chain away from the front ring. If you can can see a whole chainring tooth the chain is too far gone. Also try holding both brakes on then jumping on the drive pedal while watching the chain.

2. Is the mech hanging straight when the bike is on it's wheels looking from behind. I have seen people try to set up the mech when the bike is upside down then wonder why it is out when they turn it up right way.

3. Is the mech hanger bent? Again, you can see this looking from behind. A little off is just wear in the mech, a lot off is bent!

4. Could be a knackered freewheel?

As I say, sounds like #1 as 2/3 will have more of a chaing gear effect than a skip and 4 will feel like you have selected neutral occasionally.