mtbr member
    Apr 2007

PressFit 30 spacing...need more spacers?

Just installed a SRAM PF30 BB into my frame tonight (made for PF30, but has had a GXP adaptor in it), and installed a BB30 XO crank and it appears I need more spacers. I used the MTB spacers included, plus all of the plastic spacers and wavy washer and there's still a bit of lateral movement.
    Anyone run into this? Is it simply a matter of grabbing a couple more of those MTB spacers from SRAM or have I missed something? Everything is torqued to spec and the preload adjuster is maxed.
    EDIT: I did buy the crank used... so should there be some sort of spacer included that wasn't on there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Check for updated instructions on SRAM's site

I have a SRAM pfbb30 bottom bracket and bb30 X0 cranks installed on my bike and found that there were inconsistencies between the instructions that came with the bottom bracket and those that came with the cranks. The ones that came with the cranks were just plain wrong and looking at their site, there was an update that correctly instructed on spacer placement.

SRAM Service | SRAM

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When I installed my X9 BB30 crank in my SRAM PF30 BB the only spacer I used was one really thick one. The instructions (can't post URLs yet but search for "95-6115-006-000_rev_e_mtb_cranksets.pdf" and you'll find the instructions) show this as not being needed for an XX crank. I don't remember exactly how thick it is, but from memory I'd say about 10-15mm. I have a 73mm BB shell so I didn't need the thinner spacers and I didn't need a wave washer (it looks like the wave washer is only used for pressfit GXP). The little bit of extra slop was then taken up by the adjustable stop on the non-driveside crank.

When I first tried to install the crank I didn't have this thicker spacer and there was way too much side-to-side play so my guess is you're missing this part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wow, that PDF instruction looks pretty drastically different than the one that came included w/ the BB! But you're right, it does appear there's a big drive side spacer that I'm missing that would easily take up the remaining space. Thanks to you both!