Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    Manufacturers probably dislike the complaints and warranty issues of pressfit, which I would surmise are higher than threaded BBs. They liked the cost and weight of pressfit, and to have yet another thing to pitch as "the next big thing" to move more bicycles. That's why the industry almost entirely moved to various pressfit BBs.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,417
    I have a PF30 in my Stumpy, been fine.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carraig042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    764
    I use the E13 PF-30 on my Demo for over a year now and only once have I even needed to take it out to lube it up. It have been quiet and smooth.

    -Brett

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Agree. Even if you are building up a new frame with existing parts, a pressfit BB should not stop you-- install one of the temporary (my suggestion) or permanent (they exist, but loc-tite, really?) adapter kits and use your English 24mm external BB crankset.
    someone decided to give me approximately -60 rep instead of pushing the 'quote' button for this older post.

    I will share their comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward
    loctite is a name of company that makes MANY products.. the product you use with a press fit BB in no way makes the install permanent.. educate yourself
    I *know* that loc-tite makes several products: my tool bench has red, green and blue sitting on it. Thank you for the negative rep and your lack of contribution to the thread.

    I can't speak for all the conversion kits, but I have seen at least two that use green loc-tite which is pretty damn strong. I would be VERY CAUTIOUS about using green loc-tite in a carbon frame. In a metal frame if you gouge anything removing it, you can at least face and sleeve the BB.

    If you, Anonymous Coward, or anyone else has used one of the kits and loc-tited it in, did you ever remove it and if so was it hard? I'm here to learn, not neg rep people anonymously. If you have experience with this, share it publicly. Push reply, not the thumb.

  5. #30
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I *know* that loc-tite makes several products: my tool bench has red, green and blue sitting on it. Thank you for the negative rep and your lack of contribution to the thread.

    I can't speak for all the conversion kits, but I have seen at least two that use green loc-tite which is pretty damn strong. I would be VERY CAUTIOUS about using green loc-tite in a carbon frame. In a metal frame if you gouge anything removing it, you can at least face and sleeve the BB.

    If you, Anonymous Coward, or anyone else has used one of the kits and loc-tited it in, did you ever remove it and if so was it hard? I'm here to learn, not neg rep people anonymously. If you have experience with this, share it publicly. Push reply, not the thumb.
    He has a point. Lock-tite has thousands of different products. While referring to them as a brand is vague. Referring to some of their products by color is shows an ignorance of their product line. They have thousands of sku's and most of them are blue, red or green. If you want to recommend a specific product use it's number, ie 242 or 680.

    The conversion kits that are installed with a sleeve retaining compound or two part epoxy can be removed. But it's a PITA at a minimum. Most sleeve retaining compounds are heat sensitive so you can warm them up to ~400* and they are pretty easy to tap out. If it wasn't installed with such a compound your getting out the hack saw and sectioning the thing out.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    He has a point. Lock-tite has thousands of different products. While referring to them as a brand is vague. Referring to some of their products by color is shows an ignorance of their product line. They have thousands of sku's and most of them are blue, red or green. If you want to recommend a specific product use it's number, ie 242 or 680.

    The conversion kits that are installed with a sleeve retaining compound or two part epoxy can be removed. But it's a PITA at a minimum. Most sleeve retaining compounds are heat sensitive so you can warm them up to ~400* and they are pretty easy to tap out. If it wasn't installed with such a compound your getting out the hack saw and sectioning the thing out.
    Helpful post. Much more helpful to me and this discussion than a neg rep rant.

    It is funny that you talk about specific product numbers while misspelling the company name.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    152
    The only one who will benefit from press fit BB's is Park Tool, after I buy a removal tool to service my new bike once or twice a year. Other than that, its just more marketing ********.

    Its a shame the bike industry has to spend so much time fixing what isn't broke, just to stay alive. Some changes are great, like derailleur clutches and dropper posts, but purposely making bike parts non-interchangeable is clearly about making money, not improving the bikes themselves.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vmaxx4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have yet to see an EBB for a BB92 frame. Would have a limited throw compared to proper EBBs.
    This would be a great option for a SS 275 LES. Anyone making one yet?
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

  9. #34
    Sooz
    Reputation: sooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    100
    Hi Spearman. I can relate to that! I have a Yeti with a screw in BB running XT cranks and BB. Perfect, quiet and reliable. I have recently built up a "hot-rod" Trek TopFuel 9.9 with a press (or rather push-in) BB90 BB and GXP XX crank - a great bike and performs well, but has an annoying creaking rotational noise. I am told by my bike shop guy that this is a "feature" of this frame and the BB fit type. Any thoughts would be appreciated

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    137
    I wish someone could give me a solid answer on this. It seam like common sense would say threaded is going to be quite and more problem free. However the trend is saying that the press fit is more universal and give us more options for running different adapters and things like the "problem solvers" I have read about. I am in the market for a new bike this year and the frames I am looking at all have press fit BB. Not sure if I like that. If something is just pressed into place it would seam it has more opportunity to move around and cause problems. I hate any squeak or creak in my bike when I ride, it make me stop and look to see what is going on and can distract me for the entire ride when I don't know what is causing the creak.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

  11. #36
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,014

    Press Fit vs Threaded Bottom Brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    I wish someone could give me a solid answer on this. It seam like common sense would say threaded is going to be quite and more problem free. However the trend is saying that the press fit is more universal and give us more options for running different adapters and things like the "problem solvers" I have read about. I am in the market for a new bike this year and the frames I am looking at all have press fit BB. Not sure if I like that. If something is just pressed into place it would seam it has more opportunity to move around and cause problems. I hate any squeak or creak in my bike when I ride, it make me stop and look to see what is going on and can distract me for the entire ride when I don't know what is causing the creak.
    Sorry, there is no answer that is any better than your spelling.

    My preference is for threaded BBs but they can have issues, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    I wish someone could give me a solid answer on this. It seam like common sense would say threaded is going to be quite and more problem free. However the trend is saying that the press fit is more universal and give us more options for running different adapters and things like the "problem solvers" I have read about. I am in the market for a new bike this year and the frames I am looking at all have press fit BB. Not sure if I like that. If something is just pressed into place it would seam it has more opportunity to move around and cause problems. I hate any squeak or creak in my bike when I ride, it make me stop and look to see what is going on and can distract me for the entire ride when I don't know what is causing the creak.
    Get this

    Wheel Mfg PF30 Bottom Bracket with Angular Contact Bearings at BikeTiresDirect

    and use this to install it

    http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Streng.../dp/B004GZDV8I


    In my opinion pf30 is simple, stiff, and the larger bearings are superior.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Philippines!
    By Raybrig in forum Philippines
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 01:22 AM
  2. Press Fit 30 help
    By Green Giant in forum Ventana
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 04:54 AM
  3. Installing press fit bottom bracket in carbon frame
    By ryano in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
  4. Which bottom brackets fit XTR M950 cranks?
    By jabrabu in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
  5. Shimano press fit BB92 and GXP press fit BB92 the same?
    By Stryder75 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •