island time
    Mar 2007

Power Link on IG51 Chain - wont fit!?!?

I tried searching but could not find an exact answer. Everyone here seems to state that an 8 speed powerlink will work with an 8 speed shimano chain. I have an 8 speed bike with a Shimano IG51 Narrow chain on it. I bought a SRAM Powerlink Silver 8-Speed and cannot get it to snap shut on the chain. I have a powerlink on my road bike so i know how to use the things and this one definitely does not seem to be quite wide enough. I believe that IG chains are slightly wider than HG chains - so perhaps my IG chain is too wide? Does anybody know if there is a powerlink that will fit a Shimano IG51 Narrow 8chain?

Thanks in advance!

bilydu

I Love my Rize

8 speed powerlink won't work

Only 9 speed Sram links play with Shimano 9 speed.
    I would get the PC 58 Sram chain as it's AWESOME.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Do It Yourself
    The SRAM link should sort of work on the IG chain. Although, I would get a Missing Link or other Shimano specific link if you really want to use the Shimano chains. Or just buy a SRAM PC-58 chain which comes with the PowerLink.
    Long Live Long Rides

Members who have read this thread: 0