Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aka baycat

Power Curved Cranks...

Was hoping for some Engrish but these awesome cranks will do. Anyone running them?

via Bike Hugger

"We have researched and road tested for the past 10 years and now we are very pleased to present you 2 types of power curved cranks. According to SGS Taiwan test report, power-curved crank canincrease 25~30% torque output between angle 0°(upper dead point)~60°.It has overcome technical difficulties on raising power efficiency in the bicycle industry for two centuries.

Power-curved cranks use the design of golden spiral ratio, which create more pedaling efficiency than traditional cranks can provide, so that no matter bike lovers or normal riders can enjoy more fun of speed and comfortable riding. Also, its bright appearance and improved manufacturing process enhance the value and outstanding of the bicycle. For the purpose of meeting the commercialization, the power-curved cranks can be installed on any kind of bike without changing manufacturing process. Also, the power-curved cranks provide wider range of gear ratios for bicycle designing. In addition to those advantages, using power-curved cranks can increase 30% rotational momentum."

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    no because the leverage point is the same.

Administrator Administrator
    nice. How changing the shape of the arm increases output I don't understand but I can see how adding more material and using a square taper BB might be appealing to the Walmart bike buyer.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Crap. Also, it's been done.

mtbr member
    Can't see how that would do anything.

The leverage point is the same. The only difference is a small difference in the placement of mass, but I don't think that it would have any noticeable effect.

If it did you could just place a weight somewhere on a standard crank set. It would have to be enough weight to give it a flywheel type of effect, and in order to be noticeable it would have to be more weight than you would want to add, and would probably make the pedal stroke feel herky jerky.

Thread Killer
    well...i could see a longevity thing. if you have a problem with snapping regular cranks; with these, it looks like the force follows the curvature of the arm, so the force would stay in the arm all the way down to the BB
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Masher
    weigh?

Stokeless Asshat
    "Power-curved cranks use the design of golden spiral ratio"

Says it all right there. No need to discuss any further.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

not really an mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    In addition to those advantages, using power-curved cranks can increase 30% rotational momentum."
    Only because they weigh so much more!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    "All your torque are belong to us."

-Som Ting Wong

mtbr member
    Rotor has one that works

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Designs like this come around every few years. They have zero benefit functionally, but are a good measure of the cultural memory span in the bike biz.

In alternate years we get eliptical chainrings.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Dave

I Have Cookies
    I say the shortest distance between two points is a straight line
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    "Power-curved cranks use the design of golden spiral ratio"

Says it all right there. No need to discuss any further.

the fibonacci curve is the "golden" curve

yay for 11th grade math!
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Bicycle rider
    Who stole my BS meter? Post pics if you purchase and install it on you bike.

mtbr member

ya

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

even better...

I've created one that's even better, the no dead point at all crank...

I Have Cookies
    Spin people SPIN!!!!!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    increase 2-3 km/per hour,
    The Revolution(s) Per Minute increases 2~3 RPM

Torque output efficiency increasing 25~30% test by SGS

mtbr member
    Where can I buy these.

Will they work with 83mm bb?

I jump to flat lots, how high can I jump with these?

Stay thirsty my friends
    WTF they don't come in pink or purple? Everyone knows purple is the color of power...pffffft! Also according to Feng Shui the sprockets should be on the left side to provide life force balance, these guys are obviously amateurs if they don't understand these basic principles.

mtbr member
    Looks like a boomerang.

mtbr member
    Reading this thread, I just had a Brainstorm moment; why not bolt on THREE cranks, for a 50% torque increase?
    Brisbane, AU

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by hootsmon
    Reading this thread, I just had a Brainstorm moment; why not bolt on THREE cranks, for a 50% torque increase?
    Would only work for black guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 251
    LOL you save $5 each if you get 5

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Some one else chimed in with suggestion already, buy Rotor cranks if you want to eliminate the dead spot, and gain a real advantage on tech climbs, I use them, and they work
    http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/

and they were designed by engineers, not based on "golden curves"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Guys
    I just found the computation formula to calculate the curved crank's torque output
    Just see it

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny
    "All your torque are belong to us."

-Som Ting Wong
    lol sweetness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

These Cranks Work

I have built a Dual shock MTB that goesfaster than Road bicycles and weighs 18 kg !!
    It is the 2nd prototype I have built, the first still goes fine and the only problem I had in 5 years was a flat tyre and replaced rear derailer. it was a Dual shock 11-32t rear and 42-52t front chainrings. my new one runs 11-28t and 42-56t front and on my 3rd prototype i will changing it to 44-60t with a new crank arm, I combined two crank designs to make my upgaded model and it works perfectly, it cruises at 55+ kph and is so easy I can ride uphill using the 56t and still change gears at the rear. this is why I am going to a larger chainring setup on my next. the experts said it wasnt possible, but I have it, the bike shop call it Super bike. Heavy just means more momentum, its sad to see people so closed minded. I saw the potential even before my project was started and cant wait to show the Experts what else is really possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Curved Cranks...-2nd-prototype-2010.jpg  

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT.MARSHALL
    I have built a Dual shock MTB that goesfaster than Road bicycles and weighs 18 kg !!
    It is the 2nd prototype I have built, the first still goes fine and the only problem I had in 5 years was a flat tyre and replaced rear derailer. it was a Dual shock 11-32t rear and 42-52t front chainrings. my new one runs 11-28t and 42-56t front and on my 3rd prototype i will changing it to 44-60t with a new crank arm, I combined two crank designs to make my upgaded model and it works perfectly, it cruises at 55+ kph and is so easy I can ride uphill using the 56t and still change gears at the rear. this is why I am going to a larger chainring setup on my next. the experts said it wasnt possible, but I have it, the bike shop call it Super bike. Heavy just means more momentum, its sad to see people so closed minded. I saw the potential even before my project was started and cant wait to show the Experts what else is really possible.
    Post this again on April 1
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I get the last laugh because I save 30% percent of my energy and still ride at higher speed than all you experts with all the comfort of a Dual shock and durability of a MTB, While all you experts are pedaling your guts out on your 22t/32t/44t uphill and on straights, I love laughing at you guys, legs going like egg-beaters.

meow meow
    will these be for sale to the general public soon?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    Looks like something a security guard may take pride in owning. I'd start checking the back few pages of magazines no one reads if you're really interested in scoring something like this.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I get the last laugh because I save 30% percent of my energy and still ride at higher speed than all you experts with all the comfort of a Dual shock and durability of a MTB, While all you experts are pedaling your guts out on your 22t/32t/44t uphill and on straights, I love laughing at you guys, legs going like egg-beaters.
    No fair. Most of us actually take our bikes off the road.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Will look for you and your bike in the ProTour crushing Cancellara
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    I am in the process of design uprades to improve performance, after I will be selling to public worldwide at a fair price, I am not greedy for money and I beleive the average person should get quality product, I built mine for $2000-2500 AUD aprox. not including labour. if you are interested let me know

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Will look for you and your bike in the ProTour crushing Cancellara
    I would love nothing more than to personally see all the jaws drop when they get passed by a bike 2-3 time heavier but I have a spinal injury from the Defence force that stopped me for walking for 1yr and still havent got back full fuction. I am hoping to do the 200km ride for cancer in August 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    No fair. Most of us actually take our bikes off the road.
    This bike goes Off-road, its just faster going up and down with less wear on the rider

www.derbyrims.com
    The tapered and curved crank arms, if round, square, hollow, U-beam or I-beam could allow slightly less flex using the same material and weight as a round, square, hollow, U-beam or I-beam straight crank respectively due to a couple of factors I can think of...

Similar to how thinner walled larger diameter tubes can be stiffer than thicker walled smaller diameter tubes of the same material in a frame or fork.

The curved arms vs. straight increase torsional stiffness compared to a straight swingarm, similar to how some monopivot swingarms are designed with a tapered curve or "v" and the arms are larger near the monopivot axis to increase torsional stiffness.

30%, near 1/3 stiffer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

If you cant understand this, I am surprized you have the inteligence to login

I made a picture for people who does have brain power to process the Curved Crank design, I know you can blame your school teacher all you want after ! Maybe one day you might trade up from the standard cranks and join the smart cyclists ! Put your money where your mouth is, it requires balls but it is possible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Power Curved Cranks...-turbo-crank-explained.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT.MARSHALL View Post
    I made a picture for people who does have brain power to process the Curved Crank design, I know you can blame your school teacher all you want after ! Maybe one day you might trade up from the standard cranks and join the smart cyclists ! Put your money where your mouth is, it requires balls but it is possible
    This has to be some of the worst physics I've seen. First off, don't you have to raise the same of mass on the other arm? (duh). Second, you're having to accelerate that mass every time you pedal, much like wheel weight. And third, you obviously work for the company that makes these judging by your engrish.

Picture Unrelated
    I'm giddy with the amount of awesome that is happening right now.

Flywheels for cranks, 60T chainring, efficient walmart bike, weight=momentum, pesudo-physics, this thing has it all!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    According to your second pic, your magical cranks take no effort to turn! That's amazing!

Also, according to your "theory", I should run the heaviest wheels possible and regain the 45 pounds I lost so I have more momentum.
    Last edited by ryguy135; 10-23-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Class Clown
    yeah let's compare bike cranks to flywheels and exhaust systems!

Tool
    "...weight that creates momentum."

Classic.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    As long as we're talking physics...

mtbr member
    With these cranks and my bio paced 3 ring circus I'm gonna rule the world!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Would you guys stop making fun of SGT.MARSHALL. Obviously he is not a SHILL. he is forealz yo.

SGT.MARSHALL: Where can i buyz one of these? I lost my right in the war and my left leg is not strong enough to ride anymore. I love riding so much but I just can't do it. From the science and graphs I saw on your website, I asked my physics friend if these works and he said yes. So for me to enjoy riding again, I would love to buy these. Just let me know where to send my hard earned money.

Everyday I wake up an look at my Mongoose XR-7, I cry because I can't rise anymore. Please help me. Its so sad when I see my friends ride and they fun of me with one leg. I want to show it to them and be faster than them by %30!

You the man SGT.MARSHALL

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    "...weight that creates momentum."

Classic.
    Someone should alert Stockholm, this guy has managed to prove that mass=momentum. Genius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast