mtbr member
    Apr 2005

We the people ... Post your opinion on shifter cables here!

There are a lot of different fabrications of shifter and brake cables out there. What do you think is the best out there and why. This will obviously always stay partially subjective as far as preference is concerned but on average I am sure there will be some average verdict on is good and what is not so good.

F.e. are the Aztec powerlines and Nokon cables really that much better than more conventional cablesystems? How about the Powercordz cables vs steel/tefloncoated cables etc.

I'll start:
    I'm using the Nokon shifter cables with XTR 952 shifters and derailleurs and they perform well. However I cannot say that it is a huge difference with my former XTR cables and housing. The innercable runs through a teflon liner wich assures smooth operation and probably less maintenance cause it's a sealed system. After riding muddy trails I thought my headset was creaking when turning my handlebar but it turned out to be the front cablehousings (wich consist of little aluminum links) were fine mud particles had come between the Nokon links (maybe this is why Aztec has an outer liner around the links...). The cablehousing is very light and flexible. Takes some time to install but is reasonably easy to do if you follow the instuctions. I think this is a light and reliable system wich could be upgraded by a liner. Worth the money? Maybe if you care about weight. Durable? Haven't used them long enough to really tell.
    The grass is always greener where the dogs are shitting ~Soundgarden~

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TiBiker
    There are a lot of different fabrications of shifter and brake cables out there. What do you think is the best out there and why. This will obviously always stay partially subjective as far as preference is concerned but on average I am sure there will be some average verdict on is good and what is not so good.

F.e. are the Aztec powerlines and Nokon cables really that much better than more conventional cablesystems? How about the Powercordz cables vs steel/tefloncoated cables etc.

I'll start:
    I'm using the Nokon shifter cables with XTR 952 shifters and derailleurs and they perform well. However I cannot say that it is a huge difference with my former XTR cables and housing. The innercable runs through a teflon liner wich assures smooth operation and probably less maintenance cause it's a sealed system. After riding muddy trails I thought my headset was creaking when turning my handlebar but it turned out to be the front cablehousings (wich consist of little aluminum links) were fine mud particles had come between the Nokon links (maybe this is why Aztec has an outer liner around the links...). The cablehousing is very light and flexible. Takes some time to install but is reasonably easy to do if you follow the instuctions. I think this is a light and reliable system wich could be upgraded by a liner. Worth the money? Maybe if you care about weight. Durable? Haven't used them long enough to really tell.

I've used alot of different cable housing's/cables and have not found much of a difference.

Rolling

Powerlines.

I replaced my rear mech cable with Powerlines to try and reduce the stretch and noticed no difference at all except when I installed them it took 30 minutes to thread the inner tube in the housing. I think the stretch is ultimately due to the play in the diameter of the cable and the inner diameter of the housing and the stretching of the cable itself. Thus, you could have a solid tube going from the brake lever to the brake and still have the cable stretch.

I say just use traditional housing.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

The Cheaper the Better!

Bulk housing from Quality and generic stainless cables are tough to beat. Fancy cables/housing are all well and good if you have money to burn, but you can change cables half a dozen times for the price of one of those "systems".

On MTBR hiatus :(

Quality Quality...

Cheap bulk QBP housing and stainless steel, non-coated QBP cables when I can find them.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

To legit to quit
    personally i'm stuck on dura ace shift housing. my shifting has been so much better with it than it ever was with standard shimano or jagwire housing.
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

mtbr platinum member
    QBP cheapie housing and inner-wires run full length from shifter to derailleur. Far better than Avid Flak Jackets, Gore Ride-On, Teflon coated blah, blah...
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Keepin' it real since '74
    I'll jump on the cheap housing/generic stainless cables bandwagon. I've found that it lasts just as long as more expensive housing and cables, but for a fraction of the cost. I think it probably helps that I change my housing and cables at least once/year.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."