mtbr member

Post mud race maintenance routine

Hello All,
    This Spring we've had a number of very muddy races. I'd be very interested in hearing what others do in the way of maintenance after riding in such conditions for extended periods. I am running XX1 which is nice for it's simplicity. Here is what I've been doing:

-Wash bike thoroughly
    -Remove chain and place in solvent, air dry, replace and lube
    -Pull wheels and clean cassette and brakes
    -Check brake pads
    -Pull cranks from BB30 BB (somehow water and grit is getting in there, so I clean it out)
    -Check derailleur and dry clean, is there more I should be doing here?
    -Check derailleur cable and lube as necessary

That about does it, what am I missing? What is your routine?

Thanks,
    Wardo

Plays with tools
    Clean the chain on the bike. Otherwise you're on target.

mtbr member
    Pretty much spot on. After really muddy rides/races, that is what I do (minus crank removal). For less muddy stuff, I will do what customfab suggested and just clean the chain on the bike.

Plays with tools
    There is nothing worthwhile you can do to a chain while it's off the bike that you can't do while it's on the bike. IMPO chains stay on the bike until they're ready for the scrap bin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My chain cleaning routine for mud fests, all conducted by shaking the chain while submerged in mason jars:

Simple green for removal of dirt
    Denatured alcohol for removal of water (oil won't displace the water inside the pins/rollers)
    Oil/spirits mix for lube

I usually pull the chain first and then wash the bike. I use an old toothbrush on the rings/cassette/derailleur if they're nasty. Otherwise, a spritz or two of Simple Green and a light rinsing finishes the job. I dumped PF/BB30's after I saw the same results of crappy seals. I don't have time to be pulling cranks 3x a week.

mtbr member
    I inherited a gallon of WD-40 left at a rental property I own. I've been using that as my solvent, basically the same technique you are using. The WD-40 displaces water well, and after shaking out the grit, I hang the chain from one end to drain and air dry.

On the BB30 front, I pulled the cranks and have seized my second set of bearings in as many weeks. I figured out how the water and mud was getting in there, argon holes in the chainstay and the seat post reducer groove was facing to the rear. These are fixed, and new bearings are in the mail. Boca Bearings sells some much better shielded bearings, but they are pricey.

Custom Fab, those are some beautiful tools you are producing!

Wardo

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    My chain cleaning routine for mud fests, all conducted by shaking the chain while submerged in mason jars:

Simple green for removal of dirt
    Denatured alcohol for removal of water (oil won't displace the water inside the pins/rollers)
    Oil/spirits mix for lube

I usually pull the chain first and then wash the bike. I use an old toothbrush on the rings/cassette/derailleur if they're nasty. Otherwise, a spritz or two of Simple Green and a light rinsing finishes the job. I dumped PF/BB30's after I saw the same results of crappy seals. I don't have time to be pulling cranks 3x a week.