mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Possible to change derailleur cage?

I'm thinking about changing to a medium cage rear derailleur. Is it possible to order up a medium cage for an XT derailleur and swap it out without having to buy a whole new one?

If not shimano, does SRAM allow for changing cages?

meh....
    It can be done. I can't help on where to purchase the cage, but I've had cages off of several Shimano RD's and put them back together. You'll have to decide whether it's worth the time/money/effort. It isn't a super easy process to swap the cage.

I'd rather be riding!
    Sram XO's can be swapped easily and are readily available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok, found a few of the SRAM parts out there. Not cheap, but cheaper than the whole thing anyway. I've got an xtr that has a destroyed cage, wish I could get another cage for it. I tried swapping a cage from another shimano derailleur of the same vintage but it didn't match up. I've never seen the shimano parts for sale so I guess they want you to just buy a whole new one if they break.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try contacting either lbs or jensons and see if they will order them in????

Just a flesh wound

I hope so

I have three bent cages in my possession. 2 XT's and one XTR. I want to replace the cages, but I have been too lazy to get it done. I have part numbers and I have tried to order them in the past, but the LBS said Shimano was not shipping the parts at that time. I forgot and have not looked back, but I would like to have a few viable spares so let me know how it progresses.