mtbr member
    May 2008

Popping sounds while pedaling?

I have a new Haro Flightline Comp and have developed a grinding feeling while pedaling, along with a popping sound that seems to increase as force on the pedals are increased. Any ideas?

If it makes a difference, the bike has been taken back to the shop 2 times for problems with the bottom bracket. The first time they tightened it, the second time they replaced it. The bottom bracket is not loose this time as it has been in the past, could the problem be with it again? Rear hub?

Also, my front fork has been leaking a little oil from the right side essentially since I bought the bike...is this normal? It seems to be getting worse.

One other problem...the quick release on the front wheel no longer stops when you tighten it...the handle will now extend into the front disk if pushed when tightening...I'll assume it's broke, am I correct?

I hope it doesn't sound like the bike has been abused...it has not...only off the road 3 times on beginner trails, no jumping over 5-6", always stored inside, I haven't even got it muddy yet...

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by glbtrekker; 08-11-2008 at 04:38 PM.

ups and downs
    What rear hub is on the bike?

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    The popping sound could be that the bearings in the pedals have gone bad to check grab the pedal and try to move it if there is some play thats probably the problem. from what you described it I doubt the hub's the problem. Anyways if it came with cheap plastic pedals you should replace them with alloy ones because broken pedals on the trail = bad time.

Forks generally leak some oil when they are brand new, sounds like thats the problem there but it should only leak a little, if it persists then there could be a problem.

For the qr make sure that the little nut on the other side of the hub is tightened enough, it should be tight enough so that there is a decent amount of resistance when you close the qr lever.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    mysterious popping while pedaling is almost always a bad chain or bound link....run your chain backwards and look for a skip...if so just buy a new chain, do not try and save your old one, ain't worth it

if chain is fine, check hub/freewheel or cassette

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, it might be the chain. The problem starting getting worse after I cleaned and oiled the chain. At this point I'm just going to take the bike to the shop and see what they say. Thanks.