Help From The Big Guy

Popping Out Of Gear - XT

XT drivetrain - as long as I'm pedaling smoothly, no problems BUT a solid power stroke pulls the chain right off the rear cog.

I adjusted it, the bike shop adjusted it, when I went down to pick it - took it out to test it and THE SAME thing happened.

The chain is in good shape, not stretched, the chainline looks okay (it'll even happen on the center chain ring up front and the middle three cogs in back) it shifts perfect on the stand - its a bit of a mystery.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Worn cogs?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Rub it............
    How old are the components? Does it pop out of more than one gear? or just one?

Help From The Big Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    How old are the components? Does it pop out of more than one gear? or just one?
    Its a 9 speed - don't know exactly how old. It pops out of gear on most of the cogs in back and on the outer and middle in front.

Wouldn't the bike shop take that into consideration?

I did let them know that whatever it needed to let me know and we'd do it. I'm not a Shimano guy and I could certainly figure it out and do the work myself but this LBS is small and is hurting so I thought I'd do some business with him. If he can't figure it out, I'll take it to the primo numero uno shop in town.

Quote Originally Posted by thevalvesource
    Its a 9 speed - don't know exactly how old. It pops out of gear on most of the cogs in back and on the outer and middle in front.

Wouldn't the bike shop take that into consideration?

I did let them know that whatever it needed to let me know and we'd do it. I'm not a Shimano guy and I could certainly figure it out and do the work myself but this LBS is small and is hurting so I thought I'd do some business with him. If he can't figure it out, I'll take it to the primo numero uno shop in town.
    Well I'd certainly hope a shop could analyze that when installing a new chain (and is it a new chain?). Read this article...http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

mtbr member
    Your problem sounds as though there is wear somewhere in the drive train. Check out chain, chain rings, cogs, and even deraileur pulleys. It is amazing how quickly these things wear out. 9 speed stuff is so thin that it tends to wear out.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

Help From The Big Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Well I'd certainly hope a shop could analyze that when installing a new chain (and is it a new chain?). Read this article...http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    I ASKED if it needed a new chain....he said it did not!

If he can't figure it out and its still not working, I'll buy a new chain, cassette and new chainrings. The bike has some miles on it, the cassette and chainrings look to be up to snuff but theres not much else that can be the problem.

Rub it............
    Just because a chain looks ok, or doesn't have much stretch to it, doesn't mean its bad. Its probably a combination of a worn cassette and chainrings with the chain being ok.

Maybe the chain has a stiff link, who knows. Since age/mileage is unknown, might be better off starting with all new stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    You say it "pops out of gear", which sounds like its shifting from one gear to another, not having the chain actually ride over the cog teeth of the gear it is in. Could it maybe be frame flex is forcing a shift (either by changing the cable tension or altering the chainline) when you give it "a solid power stroke"? If this is the case, what you have is "autoshifting" or "ghost shifting", and NOT a worn drivetrain. For more info on this problem, see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html

Help From The Big Guy
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions.

As I said in an earlier post, I do believe I'll just replace the whole drivetrain.

I never use a LBS for mechanical work as my other bikes are Campy equipped. I have lots and lots of experience with Campy and its very easy to work on. If I have to take it to another shop, I'll get lots of recommendations.