mtbr member

Please help a newbie out

Hi all and thanx for lookin'. My father in-law recently passed away. He was a real bike guru who had an old 1990 gary fisher prometheus titanium frame. My wife thought I should build it up because he never got around to it. Anyway, enough of the yata, yata. The bottom bracket shell measures about 3.5 inches(or 88.8mm). The only crank that i could find that will work is a sugino impel, and after that was fitted i found out the original specs and the bike was supposed to come with suntour xc comp cranks. So my question is. Do you know of any other cranks, with the same "dish" as the sugino impel, or the suntour xc comp, that will work? I know my father in-law (being the weight weenie he was) is rollin' over in his grave with those steel rivited chain rings on this frame. Thanx, Pete

mtbr member
    Nobody? The problem is that any other crank i try is out to far for the derailuer to reach

In FTF We Trust
    My buddy that owns the LBS had one of those for quite a while. I'll talk to him tomorrow and see if he has any ideas/suggestions.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Sometimes takes more than an hour to get a response, patience...

Not familiar with that frame, but seems a very odd bracket shell width. Normal would be 68 or 73 mm. Verify your bb shell width would be my suggestion. If you're using a square taper crank it's your spindle length of the bottom bracket that determines where the crank's chainline will be, and is specific to the crank. The Impel uses a 110 or 113 mm spindle from what I see...

ps you might want to look over these articles www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline and www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

In FTF We Trust
    Bikinfool, he's on with the bb spec. This is when Fisher was doing all kinds of interesting things to push the evolution of the mountain bike. This bike should also have an "evolution" 1 1/4" headset. Be sure to look into that; King still offers a "devolution" headset I'm pretty sure but it'd be a shame to get very deep into the build and get shut down because you don't have a compatible fork or headset.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Didn't know, thanks, will have to go look that bike up. He did say he was a newbie is my excuse and I'm sticking with it . Never heard of that bb dimension, though, was GF the only one to use it? Believe King does still offer that headset, too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    el-cid You nailed that one. It does have 1 1/4 headset.

mtbr member
    Do ya think suntour xc pro would work?

In FTF We Trust
    Ah, crap, I forgot to ask my buddy about this. I'll give myself a reminder to ask him tomorrow and report back tomorrow evening.

mtbr member
    thanx, I appeciate

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So the BB and bearings are installed in the frame, with no issues? Seems like that would be the hardest part...finding a suitable spindle that wide.

I'm guessing you're having a hard time finding a crank with enough "dish" to put the chainrings close enough to the centerline of the bike?

You'll want something that uses a really long spindle...here's Sheldon's list... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

One that uses a 122mm+ spindle would likely work...they're from that era, 1990-1992.

mtbr member
    Yes, thankfuly the frame has a bb. I'v tried a few cranks from that era with no luck. It seems that this size bb shell was experimental, so I'm having a hard time, even with sheldon browns list, to get any usable info. The fact that I'm a newbie to wrenching on bikes doesn't help either. With every post I feel I'm getting closer to figuring out a suitable crank so THANX TO ALL for your help. Pete "theMeat"

In FTF We Trust
    Pete, it looks like that era XT cranks would work fine and Suntour XC Pros will work fine. Basically, so long as you use a crankset designed to work with a 117mm spindle on a 68mm bottom bracket shell width your chainline should be OK. FWIW if you want to talk to someone about building up that bike you can call Pete at Sven's Bicycles of Anaconda (406)563-7988. He's the buddy I was talking about and he had one for a long time and could give you some pointers about fork lengths, etc. I don't know what you have planned for a fork but he happens to still have a Shimano XT threaded 1 1/4" headset and a Fisher 1 1/4" titanium stem that came off his Prometheus.

mtbr member
    "El-cid" THANX man. I really appreciate your generosity and time. It's amazing to me that 150 people viewed this topic and so few responded, so your atleast 1 in 150 LOL. Your buds titanium stem sounds interesting, But I didn't get your name. Did I say thanx? Pete

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    "El-cid" THANX man. I really appreciate your generosity and time. It's amazing to me that 150 people viewed this topic and so few responded, so your atleast 1 in 150 LOL. Your buds titanium stem sounds interesting, But I didn't get your name. Did I say thanx? Pete
    To be fair, your title gave no info on the topic of your thread and you have a fairly obscure drivetrain question about a 20 year old frame, so not surprising only a small # of viewers could be helpful.

You should ask in the VIntage, Retro, Classic forum, likely to get many replies there. Title your thread with something like "1990 Fisher Prometheus/88.8mm BB Question", to get the attention of someone who may know about either of those and maybe have them read and reply to your thread, they may not be interested in another generic "help a newb" thread that day.

Good luck, sounds like a cool project.

mtbr member
    Good idea, Thanx

In FTF We Trust
    Yeah, Pete, in everyone's defense that is a pretty rare (obscure?) bike/bb. I was glad to help; my name's Chad by the way. If you have any more questions I'd suggest calling Pete at Sven's, he knows that bike inside and out, is a fountain of knowledge, and is a good guy to boot.