mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Please help me choose my next crankset!

I have a friend who works in LBS and he can get me these cranks at these prices:

2008 XT crank M770 - $190

2006 RaceFace Deus ('06 model) - $150

2008 Truvative Style 3.3 - $130

I have heard both pros and cons about each but I would like to have more feedback. Please help me decide which one to get for my XC bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pcheninhk
    I have a friend who works in LBS and he can get me these cranks at these prices:

2008 XT crank M770 - $190

2006 RaceFace Deus ('06 model) - $150

2008 Truvative Style 3.3 - $130

I have heard both pros and cons about each but I would like to have more feedback. Please help me decide which one to get for my XC bike. Thanks.
    Stay away from the Raceface. crappy bottom bracket.

I have only done some short riding on the XT, good and stiff. (I am probably going with these later.)
    I have not been on the Truvative.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

...idios...
    "Stay away from the Raceface. crappy bottom bracket."

Yes, the RF BB's have a poor reputation, but it's an otherwise very good crankset. Given the price difference you could buy the RaceFace set and supplement it with a Shimano BB.
    I've just taken a Truvativ Stylo set off my partner's Stumpy. I found them to be less rigid than my own Hone cranks, so I'd imagine the XT would be a better bet still.
    I'd go for the RaceFace or the XT.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just don't think you can go wrong with shimano XT or LX cranksets. I'm still running a 1994 LX, a 1995 LX, and a 1996 XT on bikes I ride regularly and just ordered a new LX crankset for a new build. You may want to check to see what price he can get you on an LX. I just ordered one for $140 at blueskycycling.com
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Jensen has the XT-M770 for $279 in thier Xmas flyer. That price you posted is a bargain in that case.

I should be studying...
    1000+ miles on my raceface Deus; lighter, cheaper, and better shifting than Shimano XT. My bearings have lasted through three sets of XTR bearings on my buddies bike who has approximately the same mileage. The down fall of all external bearing cranks is the affect of an improperly prepared BB shell--it doesn't matter which ones you get, you will blow through bearings if your bb is not properly faced.

I've also never been a fan of the pinch bolt system that shimano has been using. Raceface uses a large crank bolt + spline interface on theirs. Apparently even Shimano recognizes the superiority of this design...just look at the new XTR, very similar to Raceface.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

pedal pusher
    From what I'm finding in reviews lately, the only good RF cranks are old RF cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Not on your list, but...

Have you looked at DaVinci tandem cranksets? (Custom road and dirt tandem company that makes their own cranksets)

http://www.davincitandems.com/comp.html

400 grams, very stiff, interchangable spiders to accomodate different chainring bolt patterns, and many crank arm lengths from which to choose. I use em with a Phil Wood magnium BB, and love them.

MTBR Demi-God
    My vote goes to XT M770 crankset- I have used it, and never had any issues with it.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    XT cranks all the way
    cheers
    Pagey

College Boy
    I have the XT M770 I got over the summer. It been great. Shifts like a dream huge improvement over teh M351 I had on there that came with the bike.

My vote is for the XT M770 they fix the problem of the center chain ring just wearing out to quickly so I vote for that one. Plus the zebra looking chain rings just looks sexy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have done a lot of crankset research lately, and I have never found such contrasting opinions here in the forum and reviews.
    I don't think that there are such big differences between the above mentioned brands. I had an XT crank (the reliability leader) seize just because some energy drink dripped on the bearing cups!
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]