mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Please don't beat me - I'm not lazy

I have a question that may have been asked a thousand times. I performed a search here but could not come up with an answer.

I have a new bike with an SRAM x.7 set of shifters and rear deraileur. The chain is SRAM as is the rear cassette. I want to save some weight. I noticed the rear cassette is the bottom of the barrel in SRAMS line. It is pretty heavy.

I have a brand new XTR rear 8-speed cassette that I never used from a prior build. Would this be somewhat compatible with a 9 speed drivetrain? Or, would I run into all kinds of issues?

Here is another more far fetched question. I also have a newer pair of XTR 8-speed trigger shifters, 8-speed XTR rear deraileur, and XTR front deraileur. I planned on selling these components on my old bike. However, I've contemplated taking the 8-speed group and putting it on the new bike. I would take the 9-speed x.7 components and put them on the old bike I'm going to sell. I don't use a full 8-speed anyway. I don't need 9-speed.

Is this a wise move? Or, should I sell the XTR gear on the old bike and use some of the profits to upgrade the 9-speed drivetrain on the new bike?

Tricky situation....

Thanks,

Gerb

3 "fiddy" for short
    YES...or maybe NO. 9 speed vs. 8 speed is always going to be a hot topic. There are those that think 9 is better and, of course, the 8 fans. Then you throw in the Sram vs. Shimano fued. Talk about a death match!! I would think that it is going to be a decision that only you can make for yourself since you already have the components for either option.

Im not sure of the weight situation of all of these parts, but I would think that there would be some weight savings by going to the XTR setup. With that being said, the 9 speed is a newer set up and could possible provide you with some options that you never thought you would use. Some people say that their 9 speed setup is nowhere near as reliable as their old 8. But, parts for an aging 8 speed group may be hard to come by. This is a tough decision, but........

.....I would go with the 8 speed XTR and snub my nose at all those young punks running 9 cogs.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    You cannot use an 8 speed cassette with 9 speed shifters. The spacing between gears is different. It will never shift right.

8 speed chains usually last a little bit longer, and the drivetrain is a little less finicky because of the larger spacing. I think that 8-speed XT or XTR trigger shifters are the best ever made. However, 8-speed parts are getting harder to find -- particularly high-end ones (you can always get cheap cassettes from Nashbar).

Mainly it's a lot of work to swap drivetrains because you have to redo all the cabling. If you want to be a weight weenie, I'd just buy a lighter cassette and be done with it.

banned
    Buy an 8spd x.7 shifter and use the XTR cassette. PERFECTION