Here's what I'm thinking of running...

White Ind. Eno Cranks, 32T ring
    FSA Carbon Ultimax 68x110
    Rohloff Upper Chain Guide
    SRAM PG990 cassette, 11-32T.
    SRAM X0 short cage rear derailleur
    SRAM X0 trigger
    Not sure what chain.

Will this work okay? The cranks, chainring, and BB I already have.

mbtr member
    I had a 990 11-32t until i wore it out about a month ago. I stuck an xt 11-34 on there in its place. I never really felt that 1:1 was too hard to push, but going to the 34 has made it a lot easier to spin when i get tired, and i like the slightly wider gear spacing. The 990 wore noticeably faster than the previous 2 xt cassettes, and the teeth kept needing to be filed on the sides to prevent ghost shifting. I'm a big dude, so ymmv.

I think grip shifters and 1x9 are a match made in heaven, but again, ymmv. Looks like some nice kit!

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Will the short cage rear derailleur work in this setup? It sounds like it would.

Weekend Warrior
    I've been considering switching to a 1x9 setup since I got the bike. I found myself maybe 3 or 4 times in the 22t front in the last year. There just isn't enough time on a trail to switch front and back at the same time and hit the right gear I really need, so it's a waste....

How would I go about removing the small gear? Would I need to pull the whole BB out to be able to clear it?

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Your shortcage is fine on it...
    FWIW I run Eastern Pro Cranks and Euro BB with a Profile Imperial 32t Chainwheel, XTR Chain, PG990 11-34 cassette, XT shifter and 105 road derailleur... Works awesome.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    How would I go about removing the small gear? Would I need to pull the whole BB out to be able to clear it?
    You just need to pull your crank off, and assuming your cranks come apart, remove the granny and replace with an inner guide ring (best way to prevent chain drops IMO).

Then get rid of front mech and shifter...

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    Here's what I'm thinking of running...

White Ind. Eno Cranks, 32T ring
    FSA Carbon Ultimax 68x110
    Rohloff Upper Chain Guide
    SRAM PG990 cassette, 11-32T.
    SRAM X0 short cage rear derailleur
    SRAM X0 trigger
    Not sure what chain.

Will this work okay? The cranks, chainring, and BB I already have.
    If your bike is a FS frame, you need to check how much chain growth it has before deciding on a short cage rear mech...

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    If your bike is a FS frame, you need to check how much chain growth it has before deciding on a short cage rear mech...
    won't have to worry about chain growth on an XC race hardtail.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    won't have to worry about chain growth on an XC race hardtail.
    lol true...

is the 32 front to 11 rear fast enough for that?

Wanderer
    lol true...

I'm sure it is. I have a 34 front and 11-32 rear and I can sprint low 30s if I spin like mad. Mid 20s are fairly easy to sustain in needed. Just depends on how much fire-roads you have around where you bike. I actually use all 9 rear gears now. You do lose some high end but its not a road bike.

I also use the Rohlof Chain Guide and it works great but be prepared to dremel and sand it to actually fit correctly.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    lol true...

Fast enough for me! I'm used to 34/16 SS. If I find myself topping it out (unlikely) I could go to a 34T front.

I win.
    I have a 34t front and with the 11-34 in the back I feel like I'm fairly well covered for my riding. When I'm on the road riding to the trails I can spin 19-20 mph all day. Anything over 30 and like was mentioned before you're spinning like a mad man.
    I do miss my top end speed and really get a rush with the speed but honestly the 1x9 is so great that I think the benefits out weigh the loss of top end.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

Weekend Warrior
    holly crap. I top out (with an 32f/11r) at 25mph, downhill i can do 27mph but that's it!!!!

Do the 2 extra teeth in the front make such a big difference?

Sometimes when I pedal back (in mid front and large rear) the chain slips onto the small gear in the front. What type of guide would you recommend so that it keeps it in place when I go 1x8.

Can i tighten up my chain a bit as well? I get a lot of chain slap when I do especially red trails. Or is there something I can install to reduce chain slap.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    holly crap. I top out (with an 32f/11r) at 25mph, downhill i can do 27mph but that's it!!!!

Do the 2 extra teeth in the front make such a big difference?

Sometimes when I pedal back (in mid front and large rear) the chain slips onto the small gear in the front. What type of guide would you recommend so that it keeps it in place when I go 1x8.

Can i tighten up my chain a bit as well? I get a lot of chain slap when I do especially red trails. Or is there something I can install to reduce chain slap.
    Inner ring in place of the granny is the best thing, cheap, easy and works.

I had the same problem and haven't dropped a chain since... even doing DH on my full squish...