I like bacon... (clyde)

Plastic liner pulled out of cable housing

I have had a Jagwire Ripcord shift cable kit installed on my bike for a couple years now, nothing but good things to say. Recently the cable broke right where it connects to the RD, so naturally I bought a new cable and intended to install it earlier today. As I was pulling the frayed end of the cable through the first section of housing (which I now realize was a really bad idea, should have trimmed it first), it got snagged and was difficult to pull through. So I kept on pulling and a translucent plastic liner started sliding out. After I got it pulled all the way out, the end of the cable was stuck in the liner pretty good, so I yanked it out and destroyed the plastic liner. At this point I decided to say f it, dripped some teflon oil down inside the housing section and continued the job.

Everything is shifting fine, I just wonder if I will run into accelerated wear in the future and if I should replace the housing section soon to prolong the cable life.
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

Tool
    I wouldn't worry about the cable life at all - except for the exposed end of the cable, the housing will wear out far faster than the cable.

I would just continue to run the housing just like it is. It will likely be more susceptible to contamination, but as long as you have good shifting, that's all you need the cable/housing to do for you. No sense in replacing something that is working sufficiently, and perfromance degradation should be slow, not leading to a situation where your shifting suddenly sucks (although this could happen if you have a particularly wet/muddy ride and don't get the bike clean/dry quickly afterwards).

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Thanks! I don't typically ride in wet conditions and the housing is sealed with rubber "boots" or whatever they are called. I'll just lube or replace that housing section if my shifting gets sticky.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...