mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Phil Wood Bottom Bracket

I am looking to up grade my ETSX 30 with a new drivetrain. While I am looking to upgrade the cranks and rings to RaceFace Next LP with ISIS, I do not want the BB to be RaceFace TI because of the failures that have been reported in product reviews. I am looking at a Phil Woods BB ISIS TI. I cannot contact them so I was wondering if anyone had expericence with Phil Woods ISIS TI BB and what I might expect and if they even make a TI ISIS. Also, is this a good choice for a BB?

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mak7066
    I am looking to up grade my ETSX 30 with a new drivetrain. While I am looking to upgrade the cranks and rings to RaceFace Next LP with ISIS, I do not want the BB to be RaceFace TI because of the failures that have been reported in product reviews. I am looking at a Phil Woods BB ISIS TI. I cannot contact them so I was wondering if anyone had expericence with Phil Woods ISIS TI BB and what I might expect and if they even make a TI ISIS. Also, is this a good choice for a BB?
    As far as I know Brent is not too excited about the ISIS drive setup and is sticking to the square taper version. I have been very pleased with all 8 of my PhilWood BB as they have out lasted everything else on the market. The price is a bit steep, but for the quality it is a short lived complaint.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Who is brent?

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    As far as I know Brent is not too excited about the ISIS drive setup and is sticking to the square taper version. I have been very pleased with all 8 of my PhilWood BB as they have out lasted everything else on the market. The price is a bit steep, but for the quality it is a short lived complaint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crux

What he said, Phil Wood doesn't make an ISIS BB (smart chice on their part too!). Their homepage with catalog and product listings: http://www.philwood.com/phome.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Looks like they do!
    http://www.philwood.com/americanisis.htm
    If ISIS is a bad choice, why, and what setup should I go with for maximum duriblity and light weight for a XC rider?
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
    What he said, Phil Wood doesn't make an ISIS BB (smart chice on their part too!). Their homepage with catalog and product listings: http://www.philwood.com/phome.htm

Candlestick Maker
    Looks like they do!
    http://www.philwood.com/americanisis.htm
    If ISIS is a bad choice, why, and what setup should I go with for maximum duriblity and light weight for a XC rider?
    American ISIS is different than ISIS. Requires a different bottom bracket shell and bottom bracket.

Square taper has worked well for me (155lb xc rider) over the years...

baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    American ISIS is different than ISIS. Requires a different bottom bracket shell and bottom bracket.

baker

Did a quick search on the American Isis and this is a prototype design only,has been around for over 2 yrs, but doesn't look like anybody is adopting the new frame design for their bikes, nor does it appear that Phil ever offered it to the public on their own either... Would solve the current problem of too little space for proper bearings with the larger hollow spindles in bb cartridges though. I think getting the bike industry to adopt a new bb shell size is going to be tough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am 140 lb, so it looks like I will be getting Phil's TI BB with square taper. Now I need to know about cranks, I had my heart set on the Next LP but I believe that this is only made in ISIS. What are some good alternatives? Also need to find out what size cranks to buy, how does one measure to see what cranks are sutible, is it just a matter of prefrence?
    Quote Originally Posted by baker

baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am 140 lb, so it looks like I will be getting Phil's TI BB with square taper. Now I need to know about cranks, I had my heart set on the Next LP but I believe that this is only made in ISIS. What are some good alternatives? Also need to find out what size cranks to buy, how does one measure to see what cranks are sutible, is it just a matter of prefrence?

Speedgoat still advertises square taper next lp cranks w/o rings, get 'em before their gone!
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=110&brand=199
    The Middleburn RS7 cranks they sell look nice,come in sq tpr and have good reviews in MTBR too. I got a sq tpr set (next lp) from pricepoint a couple months ago, on clearance. Next LP's used to be popular in sq taper form,now i think their abandoning sq taper for the lowly isis. I believe most bikes use a default 175mm crankarm length, not sure what points to measure from to confirm length though.
    Last edited by sweetdaddy; 09-17-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Middleburn Cranks are FAR BETTER than Race Face

In my opinion. Their rings are far superior to the Race Face rings and arms are lighter and have a more asthetic design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    In my opinion. Their rings are far superior to the Race Face rings and arms are lighter and have a more asthetic design.
    According to speedgoats lisitngs the middleburn RS7 weighs 480gm for crankset and no rings and the next lp 410gm with no rings.

The stock rings on the next lp are notoriously heavy, my 44t big ring weighs in at slightly over 100gm! They are ramped & pinned though so shift fine. They reportedly wear fast like shimano though. The nice thing if you get the 94/58 BCD compact cranks with no rings is that everybody and their brother (Vuelta,Specialties TA, Salsa,Sugino,Shimano,Real,US Made,ActionTec etc) makes lightweight rings that'll fit them.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
    Speedgoat still advertises square taper next lp cranks w/o rings, get 'em before their gone!
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=110&brand=199
    pricepoint still carries the RaceFace Turbine LP in a square taper format:

http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Pa...Bolts-True.htm

Also, the Deore M510 crank is actually a pretty decent option. I run one of these on my Cross Check. If you replace the 2 steel rings with alloy, the weight is fairly decent and the total cost is low.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5120

Actually, the M510 w/ alloy rings mated to an FSA Ultimax Titanium BB is quite light and very affordable.

http://www.rubiconusa.com/store/prod...&folderid=1099
    http://www.rubiconusa.com/store/prod...&folderid=1105

baker

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Who in there right mind?

Please dont let anyone convince you that a square taper is the way to go. To be honest its silly. Just look at a comparison between the two types of interfaces and tell me which is going to be stiffer and more resistant to CREAKING. Then look at a rounded out square taper bb. Dont get me wrong I rode them for years but I also used to have a black and white TV. Get a splined bottom bracket. Its one upgrade I honestly could feel the difference.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Tech for Tech's sake isn't always worth it

Quote Originally Posted by artsn
    Please dont let anyone convince you that a square taper is the way to go. To be honest its silly. Just look at a comparison between the two types of interfaces and tell me which is going to be stiffer and more resistant to CREAKING. Then look at a rounded out square taper bb. Dont get me wrong I rode them for years but I also used to have a black and white TV. Get a splined bottom bracket. Its one upgrade I honestly could feel the difference.
    I've got an ISIS bike that's working without problems. I also have three square tapers working without any problems. The last taper bike was put together last fall. Why?

Horror stories about ISIS bearings.

My XT tapers and Race Face Taperlocks all have lasted multiple seasons without any issues, and I was getting more frame flex than bb flex on the tapers as well as the IRIS.

I didn't see the point in spending extra money for the latest and greatest, moreso when there have been issues with said latest and greatest. I'll switch over to one, or another new system after I STOP hearing widespread issues with either one, and oh... I happen to need a new crank setup too.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Not sure about the horror stories guys

I have been running a Isis bottom bracket with my RF Northshore cranks since RF introduced it. In fact The Isis setup Im running was a RF replacement for a bent set of Turbines. Cost me 40.00 to upgrade. I have many friends running Isis for years no hassle outside of the tremendous loads put on bottom brackets being ridden very hard. Once a square taper starts to round which if ridden hard it will they will not stay tight. Period. Isis really isnt the latest and greatest but whatever it works fine for me. Its a stiff interface that works.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by artsn
    I have been running a Isis bottom bracket with my RF Northshore cranks since RF introduced it. In fact The Isis setup Im running was a RF replacement for a bent set of Turbines. Cost me 40.00 to upgrade. I have many friends running Isis for years no hassle outside of the tremendous loads put on bottom brackets being ridden very hard. Once a square taper starts to round which if ridden hard it will they will not stay tight. Period. Isis really isnt the latest and greatest but whatever it works fine for me. Its a stiff interface that works.
    If installed properly there is no way "hard riding" would round the square interface. If improperly torqued an ISIS interface would be just as likely to round off as a square taper with prolonged riding.

I think it was a German bike mag that did some studies and found some square taper setups are stiffer than ISIS or Octalink setups.

Basically its a personal preference deal. I will say however that there probably won't be any ISIS cranks or BBs still in use 50 yrs from now as is the case with the square taper BB.