mtbr member
    Jul 2015

PF30 BB Advice Request

I read through the other PF30/BB30 threads and didn't come away with a good game plan. Hoping y'all can help sort me out.

I have an aluminum 2015 Niner RLT 9 4-star (SRAM Force CX1). I've put 1,300 miles on it (90% road commuting, 10% CX racing) and now the bottom bracket (68mm) is creaking.

I took it apart and planned to repack the bearings, but I discovered the contact between the crank spindle and bearing on the non-drive side had a small bit of surface rust. I cleaned it up with some 000-grade steel wool, checked the bearings (which spun freely and didn't need to be repacked), regreased the spindle and put it back together. The creaking didn't stop.

I'm open to all advice on how to proceed. I was contemplating just replacing the bearings, but I figure I'll replace the whole BB given the general consensus on SRAM PF30s.

If I replace it, what do you recommend? Chris King seems like a top contender, but a conversion looks more appealing. WheelsMFG seems to have the only conversion kit BB for a PF30 BB with a 30mm spindle.

UPDATE: I've decided to go with the WheelsMFG PF30 Threaded Angular Contact BB. I'll post back with my experience.
    Last edited by Bhaalgorn; 10-27-2016 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update: Decided to go with the WheelsMFG PF30 threaded angular contact BB. I'll post back with my experience in a few months (if I can remember).

aka: Bucky Fikes
    That was going to be my suggestion. So far, with about 300 miles on mine, it's been flawless. i expect it to stay that way. They key being it's threaded together to lock it in place. Did you have the wrenches necessary for install? (BBT-29)
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    That was going to be my suggestion. So far, with about 300 miles on mine, it's been flawless. i expect it to stay that way. They key being it's threaded together to lock it in place. Did you have the wrenches necessary for install? (BBT-29)
    Yeah. I went ahead and bought their very inexpensive universal BB press too. Only $35.

Magically Delicious
    Not to throw you off here, but consider that the BB might not be the source of your creaking.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Not to throw you off here, but consider that the BB might not be the source of your creaking.
    I'm pretty sure it's the BB. I did my best to eliminate/investigate other potential sources of creaking. I was concerned it might be coming from somewhere else too.

Either way, the new WheelsMFG BB arrives tomorrow, so I'll know for sure this weekend.