mtbr member
    Jan 2004

personal review of the CHain-L oil...

Hi guys...

First of all, I am not a friend of the maker of Chain-L, or a distributor of his products. So, Iīm not biased to say that itīs the best lube of the world...but, if there are something better I will like to know it...because I doubt it.

Iīm going to make this story short...The maker (Francis) contacted me after reading some threads here of me, where I have some chainsuck problems due to extremely bad weather conditions and crappy quality lube (finish line wet lube). I know that some folks die for that finish line lube, but if you are not apllying it after EVERY RIDE, then expect some serious chain suck...At least for me...

I do not live in the US, I live in south america and he sent me a trial free bottle. After some weeks it arrives. Itīs a tiny bottle but it lasts a long time. I use it on the road bike chain and also on the MTB chain...following the instructions, of removing the chain(master link in both chains), cleaning it extremely well, and then letting it absorb the lube...After more than 6 rides on each bike (road rides avg 100km, being 200km the top) and MTB riders are 40km top and 25km avg under dusty conditions and some sand at both rides...so...For me itīs simple...we have a winner. I agree that itīs not the most clean lube out there, but letīs be realistic...does you admire your chain when you are riding?...The only thing that matter of a chain when riding is that it should be working they way it was meant to be...

For me, Iīm going to do a money tranfer to Francis to buy more lube...

Donīt be skeptic...this stuff works...

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    I wanna try some. The conditons I ride in arent exactly pristine either and I'm fed up with the crappy green bottle stuff I have been using!!
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

banned
    It's nice that it works, which is basically most lubes. One of the main thing that separates many lubes is working and working cleanly. If it doesn't stay clean while running, it's really no different than 100 other lubes that do work, but don't run clean as well.

I'm using something from Switzerland right now and it works really well, and I spoke to the chemist behind it (I too have a chemistry background). However, it runs pretty dirty, even with significant cleaning after application.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Obviusly following the instructions is crucial for itīs functionality...If you let it dry there, install the chain a go ride, you will have for sure a nasty chain after the ride. But if you take your time to clean the chain with a towel very well AFTER the lube was applied. the magic will appear. I was feeling a little weird "removing" the lube after I lubed it...but I said, "what the heck...I have more left"...it works guys...

After the first ride, use a toothbrush to clean the dust that has accumulated at the sides of the chain and you are good to go.

Thatīs MY VERY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...that sometimes matches 80% of the necesitys of my other training buddys...

Thanks for reading...

mtbr member
    I've been using Chain-L for several months and really like it. Francis sent me a sample last year, and I have since purchased 2 bottles, which will last several years. Chain-L is a little messy to apply, but it does last longer than anything I've tried (ProLink, Ice-wax, and many other dry lubes). It's super dusty here, so a lube that runs "clean" is a necessity. Chain-L runs cleaner and lasts longer than ProLink, which was the best I had found previously.

I'm now using 2 chains, and just swap them out when relube is needed. That way, I can soak the dirty chain in Mineral Spirits overnight and get it really clean before relubing. Then I lube it, let it set for about an hour, and wipe it as clean as I can. It's then ready to go on the bike when needed. After the first ride, I wipe the chain again with a dry rag. That removes any residual lube and the dust it picked up. The chain stays pretty clean after that. I really haven't run a chain to the point of the lube failing. The dust is so bad that it accumulates between the rollers and side plates of the chain and the drivetrain produces a grinding sound. At that point, I pull it, clean, and lube.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".