mtbr member

Pedals --M540, M959, XT, and XTR

Is it me, or is the 2008 XT pedal the M540 painted black? Seems like only the '08 XTR is different from the 959 by design.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..the 540 and the new xt pedal look the same...

Adobo Lover
    I can recall reading that the new XT branded pedal is nothing more than the 959 in a different color. The 959? just saved you a few grams compared to the 540s.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

thecentralscrutinizer
    I thought there was a difference in the bearings and metal treatment on the spindle too.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah and the nut that holds the thing togeather is hexagonal, and the seal is better.

Spindle on the 959 is Ti i think.

Uncle

Yo Awai!

Hey man. Funny you're asking about pedals. When we were riding on Sunday, I didn't notice your bike making that clicking noise that it had back at Skeggs, but mine sure did. My bike was really noisy, and about 5 miles from the finish I checked my M540s for play. They felt fine in the morning, but after working them for a few hours, and after it warmed up, they had a little bit of bearing play, and they got louder as the day went on.

Did you replace or rebuild your pedals? I'm asking 'cause I just rebuilt my M540s, and man, what a difference so far! Opened them up and the grease stunk and was really thin and gray -- signs of wear for sure. And why not? Two full winters and summers on them, with lots of creek-crossings to boot. Cleaned 'em out, repacked and adjusted the bearings, and reloaded the entire pedal with new Pedro's SynGrease. Now they're smooth, the play is gone, and the grease in new. Not sure how good the Pedro's stuff is, but it'll have to be better than what was left of the crap I pulled out. Spent 1.5 hours on the first one, getting familiar with the innards, and spent about 20 minutes on the second one. No special tools necessary either -- 8mm "L"-allen wrench, 17mm box-end wrench, a 10mm box-end and a 7mm socket and ratchet.

If your XTRs are making noise, we can solve it! Just picked up a bbq, so maybe a pedal party at my place some time soon.

jc (er...105mm)
    Last edited by Entrenador; 10-24-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Yeah and the nut that holds the thing togeather is hexagonal, and the seal is better.

Spindle on the 959 is Ti i think.

The 959 spindle are Cro-Mo Steel. The XTR pedals are basically 959 with some material remove to make the cleat engagement easier, same with the XT and M540.

mtbr member
    Hey 105! Good to see you lurking 'round here.

Pedals are ok for the moment. I was browsing through the LBS and came across the 08 XTR and XT. ...XT looked rather familiar, the recognition of which sparked this discussion. See you on the next ride!
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.