mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. pedals: clipless with cages?

I'm buying a Trek 6500 and am looking to outfit it with one set of pedals that I can use for mountain biking (clipless) and adventure racing (platforms with straps), and was wondering if anyone knows of a pedal system that fits this description? I recognize I'd take off the straps while mountain biking, and put them back on for adventure racing which entails participants using the bike then running for a spell then getting on bike again, multiple times in a race, so it's not practical to use clipless and then change to running shoes.
    I've also been told that having a platform on the clipless pedals can help with moving forward if you're in a situation where you clip-out and can't get clipped-in immediately. Is it possible to get one set of pedals that has clipless along with platform/straps? I'd rather not buy two sets of pedals. My main concern is functionality. Thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    They don't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turq
    I'm buying a Trek 6500 and am looking to outfit it with one set of pedals that I can use for mountain biking (clipless) and adventure racing (platforms with straps), and was wondering if anyone knows of a pedal system that fits this description? I recognize I'd take off the straps while mountain biking, and put them back on for adventure racing which entails participants using the bike then running for a spell then getting on bike again, multiple times in a race, so it's not practical to use clipless and then change to running shoes.
    I've also been told that having a platform on the clipless pedals can help with moving forward if you're in a situation where you clip-out and can't get clipped-in immediately. Is it possible to get one set of pedals that has clipless along with platform/straps? I'd rather not buy two sets of pedals. My main concern is functionality. Thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...erIN050FO1.htm

You would have to it a strap in there somehow tho
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

willtsmith_nwi

Shimano SPD + mud = grief

Quote Originally Posted by jfr0
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...erIN050FO1.htm

You would have to it a strap in there somehow tho
    I don't think that pedal is a good choice for an adventure racer. Those guys go through all kinds of crap. One foot in the mud and that pedal will stop working.

An adventure racer will probably want a meaty shoe that is comfortable off the bike. But that kind of necessitates a platfrom.

My suggestion is a Mallet-C or a Time-Z. VERY careful trimming of a shoe sole should get a good lock in while keeping the cleat relatively recessed.

I rode with straps for 4 years. I got VERY adept to getting out of them. But I was never able to quickly and reliably get into them. I would always play that stupid dance with the pedal in order to get into it.

Straps just aren't worth the fuss. They take too long to get into. They don't dis-engage in "emergency" situations. Most pedal systems will come free before torquing your knee. If you get stuck in straps ... you're stuck.

I watched the Primal Challenge adventure race on TV. Everybody was using clipless pedals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm looking for a pedal that will allow clippless pedaling efficiency (for XC), but also can be used as a platform (without engaging cleat- for freeriding). Would the Mallet-C or a Time-Z work in that application, or is there something more appropriate?

mtbr member
    You could try these Crank Brothers Candys here: They give the platform you need but also the clipless when you want it.

mtbr member

power grips?

Sounds like you need some power grips, I've given up on my spd's for now since using these the last couple years. much lighter than clipless w/ platforms.
    http://www.ekosport.com/pg_benefits.shtml

do a search on 'em, there's a few of us using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turq
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Cheezy Rider
    Just buy two sets of pedals. I find it easier to switch pedals than install and remove straps and cages.