Thread: Pedals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Pedals?

Okay...
    so after re-building 2 sets of eggbeaters and crushing the "cage" on another. i'm thinking my pedal choice needs to be revised. anyone have good or bad things to say about TIME? i'm looking at the ATTAC XS...any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tatchance
    Okay...
    so after re-building 2 sets of eggbeaters and crushing the "cage" on another. i'm thinking my pedal choice needs to be revised. anyone have good or bad things to say about TIME? i'm looking at the ATTAC XS...any thoughts?
    I've used the older Aliums for several years now, with no problems. They have a reputation for being a good pedal for use in muddy conditions, and I agree with this.

They do not have adjustable tension, which may be a problem for some lighter riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Okay...
    I am on my 4th season with Time ATAC Carbons. I have not touched any part of the internals. They shed mud very well and are as smooth running as when I got them. I believe they have a sealed cartridge bearing at each end of the spindle. Before that I had Shimano 737's and had to rebuild the bearings every 2 yrs.The downside of the Time's is that they are heavy, mine are 406gm/pr on the triple beam. Newer XS Carbon's are ~325, XS Carbon Titan w titanium spindle ~270gm, ought to be getting close to a pair of eggbeaters there. Other minor downside of the Time's, like the Eggbeaters, is that the pedals don't have adujustable release tension like the Shimano's. Early on, I custom tailored the release by grinding and filing down the cleats for easier release and am quite happy with it. I'm considering getting Expedo Ti/Ti just to shed 200gm of rotating mass, but the Time's have been so good to me I don't want to!

mtbr member
    May 2004

I posted a while back...

Okay...
    about eggbeater pedals. Why did you have to rebuild them? What was happening? I have ridden on mine for 2 years, 1st generation eggs, and I will repeat what I found with mine. The spindle in my opinion was machined incorrectly. They were a couple of 1000th too long allowing the pedal to wobble on the bushing and would probably destroy the bearing after awhile. I filed the spindle ends down until the pedals sat flush on the bushing and allowed NO wobble. I think they will probably outlast the bike now. Were yours wobbling on the spindle?