Thread: Pedal Upgrade

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Pedal Upgrade

I ride an 07 Trek 3700. I know, it's no top of the line beast, but it's my do everything bike and I love it. I've had the original platforms on it since I bought it used in 08. I'd love to try out clipless to see how I'd like it, but can't spend very much (especially since my rear derailleur got mangled Saturday and I had to buy a new one). I'm thinking about trying out the Shimano M520L pedals since they get good reviews and are cheap, but thought I'd ask here first and see what you guys thought about them.

I've also thought that maybe I should get pedals that double as clipless and platform so I can just jump on my bike with my regular shoes on and go. Any good recommendations that are dirt cheap?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Personally, I ride clips on one bike, and flats on my downhill. If I was in your spot, I'd just keep riding on flats and replace them.

mtbr member
    I have M520's on my mtb and ever on my road bike. Super value ... the pedals are cheap, but in my opinion you need some good shoes aswel, and they're not cheap.
    If you want to try clipless, these are the best choice.
    I'd definitaly NOT be going for the combination-type pedals, they suck! They always tend to be the wrong way up when you need to place your foot, and the platforms are very small.