Thread: Pedal Questions

My bike IS my therapy!

Pedal Questions

I have a few questions concerning pedals:

1: What are the advantages/disadvantages of clipless pedals?
    2: What style of pedal seems to work best for xc & fr? Or is it just a personal preference thing?
    3: A buddy of mine insists on using toe-clips on his xc & fr bikes, I say he is crazy and going to break something one day. Am I incorrect in assuming so?
    Last edited by entheogeneric; 10-20-2005 at 12:33 AM.
    ~Listen To The Color Of Your Dreams~

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    well with clipless you have better pedal efficiency as your foot is essentialy glued to the pedal the entire time. This is particularly helpful when climbing. You will find for downhill racing some people prefer to be clipped in while others ride platform pedals which are a flat pedal with pins in them. When combined with the right shoe setup they can be quite grippy. I don't think there is a best pedal for XC and FR besides they are two different types of riding. If I'm riding a technical slow trail sometimes I keep one foot not clipped in just in case I think I'm about to go over. For FR I always use platforms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    3: A buddy of mine insists on using toe-clips on his xc & fr bikes, I say he is crazy and going to break something one day. Am I incorrect in assuming so?

I'd have to say if you ride you might break something. Period. If you ride with either toe clips or clipins you are more likely to stay attached to the bike and when you crash it's all a crap shoot whether or not you'll break something. Haven't yet(knock on wood). I still wouldn't go back to toeclips or no clips. Personally I prefer Time Atac pedals over anything else I've tried or seen.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by entheogeneric
    I have a few questions concerning pedals:

1: What are the advantages/disadvantages of clipless pedals?
    2: What style of pedal seems to work best for xc & fr? Or is it just a personal preference thing?
    Pedels are very much a personal choice.

IMHO clipless pedel keep your feet where they belong (on the pedels) and with good stiff shoes provide a solid transfer of power. They will help you both climbing (more power) and decending (keeps you feet on the pedels). The disadvantage is you need special shoes and when you crash it just a tiny bit harder to get off the bike.

There is no best pedel, it's to much of a personal preference like seats and grips. I like the eggbeaters because the shed mud very well. If your curious but not sure, buy some cheep welgo (they work just like spd) clipless pedels and see if it's for you.

There is nothing wrong with toe clips but for me clipless is better. Back before clipless mountain bike pedels were availible, I rode with toe clips (most people did). If you are used to getting in and out of toe clips they provide the same benifits as clipless. I prefer the clipless because I find them much easier to get in and out of and the don't bite down on my toes.