Thread: Pedal help

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Pedal help

I am looking for a new pedal system. I have only used the SPD system and am interested in some of the other systems. I have found that the SPD clog up pretty quick and that I start to have difficulty releasing in technical terrain. I have crashed because I could not get out fast enough in steep ,wet and slippery rocks and logs. What pedal system do you think is the easiest to get in and out of in a hurry? Time ATAC XS or Eggbeaters? Others? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I know I'm stating the obvious, but are you prepared to consider some decent pinned platform pedals? Zero problems getting off them when you need to, but some folks prefer to be clipped in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eggbeaters!

I got a set of Cook Brother's Candy SL pedals this spring. I like them a lot. I've had Ritchey and Shimano clipless pedals in the past. I like the Candys over any other pedal I've had. They are relatively light. Durable - I ride quite a bit of technical terrain with roots and rocks so they take some hits against rocks once in a while. They have stood up nicely so far. Also, I like the no spring tension adjustment necessary. Just put them on your bike, mount up the cleats (may take an adjustment or two) and your good to go. Preset spring tension is just right. I'm able to quickly clip out in desparate bail situations. I don't ride a lot in the mud, but the times I have, they have performed well.

I recommed the Candies, or the straight up Eggbeaters if you don't need the platforms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And there's a good reason we prefer to be clipped in. :-)