mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Pedal Choice for Knee's

Hi,

I am a regular rider who just underwent double knee arthroscopy which smoothed out some issues with my cartlidge in both knees (old rugby injuries). I currently run Shimano PD-M520 pedals with M182 shoes. I dont believe that this combo has given my knees any issues but was just wanted peoples advice on pedals and float.

I have read on a few forums that shimano SPD pedals have the least amount of float (around 4 deg) compared with other brands. is this correct?

While i recover i am looking into gettting some pedals with more float to try and save my knees.. such as Candys, Eggbeaters or maybe Time Atac...

If anyone has some good info or ideas on pedal selection and float (to save the knees) i would be most appreciative.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    speedplay frogs are probably the easiest pedals out there on your knees.
    The pedal has no spring holding you in unlike other pedals, they release at 7 degrees , but because of the design you could technically pedal at 45 degrees. getting out is just like you would unclip normally, and at 7 degrees or so you are unclipped.
    The ride is kind of like a walking on ice sensation, some like it some don't. I spent the better part of two years on speedplays, before falling back in love with shimano pedals after years of trying everything else.
    Speedplays are probably the best pedal out there for anybody with any knee issue, give em a try!

happy trails!
    Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    cheers for the advice Matt... perhaps i can go down to the LBS and see if they have some old ones lying around which i can use for a couple of months and see how the go...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    any other peoples experience/knowledge on this is much appreciated!

mtbr member

Got the time time

tick tick tickin in my head...tickin in my head..tickin in my head yeah! Tickin in my head...

I love every pair of Time pedals I have ever had...thousands of miles on one pair, and a Brand-New pair I have yet to mount on my trusty Fatback...I was sporting crankbro's, but they have some serious durability issues...though they use the same basic retention device as the Time's, they are junk...ever wonder why the CB's have rebuild kits and the Time's don't? Once the cleat is broken in (can be done artificially w/a dremel), they release like there are roller bearings somewhere in the system...beautiful execution of a simple, straightforward design...

-note-self-donor ACL replacement and a meniscus that the surgeon "accidentally" removed...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    tick tick tickin in my head...tickin in my head..tickin in my head yeah! Tickin in my head...
    +1
    love my Times ATAC. I have had two ACL reconstructions and about 4 scopes for cartilage damage. I haven't had any issues since I switched to the Times. The other thing that has helped me a lot are these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I had to play with the right number and orientation , but once I got them right and stacked them double high they really have help for long rides. They do work on the Time cleats BTW.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by C4M3RON
    Hi,

I am a regular rider who just underwent double knee arthroscopy which smoothed out some issues with my cartlidge in both knees (old rugby injuries). I currently run Shimano PD-M520 pedals with M182 shoes. I dont believe that this combo has given my knees any issues but was just wanted peoples advice on pedals and float.

I have read on a few forums that shimano SPD pedals have the least amount of float (around 4 deg) compared with other brands. is this correct?

While i recover i am looking into gettting some pedals with more float to try and save my knees.. such as Candys, Eggbeaters or maybe Time Atac...

If anyone has some good info or ideas on pedal selection and float (to save the knees) i would be most appreciative.
    Go with what you know to start, and if you feel pain move on....

What you don't want is a whole bunch of variables to consider at this point.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by C4M3RON
    Hi,

Your best option for your knees is to pay for a pedal fit at a LBS. You may still be able to use SPD's with the correct fit. If you cannot, both Time and Crank Bros provide more float plus lateral movement while Speedplay Frogs provide a whopping 20 degrees of "free float" to the outside meaning no tension on the cleats at all.