viva la v-brakes!

Paul Thumbies: front shifting trouble

I just installed some new Paul thumbies and rode them twice over this weekend. The right had rear shifting is great, easy, precise, quick, lovely. The front shifting with my left hand is another story. Seems difficult and akward, like it's a lot of work to make the shift. I often have to take my hand halfway off the grips to get it done, and it's not a very quick shift. Anyone else have this trouble? Is there some adjustment here that might fix this problem?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Bearlike

Is...

the lever difficult to push forward and back, or is the throw long in order to get the chain to shift? I've just put the DuraAce/Paul thumbies combo on my On-One, they work fine, but the front derrailleur has a long throw, which makes front shifting slower than triggers. Also, is the bolt that holds the whole enchilada too tight?

Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I just installed some new Paul thumbies and rode them twice over this weekend. The right had rear shifting is great, easy, precise, quick, lovely. The front shifting with my left hand is another story. Seems difficult and akward, like it's a lot of work to make the shift. I often have to take my hand halfway off the grips to get it done, and it's not a very quick shift. Anyone else have this trouble? Is there some adjustment here that might fix this problem?
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    Aloha FishMan473

I don't care too much for the left side thumbies because the lever throw is such a large amount. So I use one of my "old" left side thumb shifters. Its bigger diameter body allows shifts with a little less throw. The left and right side don't match but I think it works much better.

Hope that helps, aloha,

gmats

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlebear73
    the lever difficult to push forward and back, or is the throw long in order to get the chain to shift? I've just put the DuraAce/Paul thumbies combo on my On-One, they work fine, but the front derrailleur has a long throw, which makes front shifting slower than triggers. Also, is the bolt that holds the whole enchilada too tight?
    A little of both. I loosened the bolt and managed to get it to shift with a little less effort. I also adjusted my "L" limter screw and there's noticably less throw required. Then I angled the whole shifter up just a bit, to match the natural movement of my thumb. We'll see how well all that works this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gmats
    I don't care too much for the left side thumbies because the lever throw is such a large amount. So I use one of my "old" left side thumb shifters. Its bigger diameter body allows shifts with a little less throw. The left and right side don't match but I think it works much better.
    I have an old front shifting Deore thumbie, but it's pretty beat up after years on the commuter bike and the last couple years on the bottom of the parts box. I'm going to try to fix it up, but right now it's rather stiff and sticky, I don't think it'd be any better then the Paul/Dura-Ace thumbie.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 12-07-2005 at 09:37 PM.

viva la v-brakes!
    For future reference, I switch the front der. cable fixing bolt to the other side of the swing arm and it did improve the pull of the shifter and it now shifts much more easily.

I'm not yet convinced this Paul thumbies set up is better then rapidfire pods, but it is certainly as good.

Thanks y'all for the input.