mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Paul/ Dura Ace thumbies Help!

Sooooo, I converted a pair of 9spd DA bar end shifters to thumbies with the Pauls kit. But I can't for the life of me get it to index with an XT rear derailleur... Not only that, there seems to he a huge throw in the shifter between gears 3-4 or 4-5... So it's almost as if the indexing in the shifters is inconsistent. I would have thought the throw would be identical from 1 gear to the next. Do the road derailleurs (105-Ultegra-DA) use a different ratio than the mtn ones (I already know they don't, since you can easily use a road RD with mtn shifters... but I had to put it out there...) or are my thumbies NFG???

email me alex(at)brodiebikes(dot)com please!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

I'm using Ultrega 8's Thumbies

Is the indexing disc where it needs to be and solidly in place? No kinks in the cables? Beyond that don't have any answers for ya.

I've got mine set up with an XTR rear and Ultegra 8's on the front. I've found the friction mode is just as easy to use as the indexed, but I was able to index the entire cassette.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by tosis
    Sooooo, I converted a pair of 9spd DA bar end shifters to thumbies with the Pauls kit. But I can't for the life of me get it to index with an XT rear derailleur... Not only that, there seems to he a huge throw in the shifter between gears 3-4 or 4-5... So it's almost as if the indexing in the shifters is inconsistent. I would have thought the throw would be identical from 1 gear to the next. Do the road derailleurs (105-Ultegra-DA) use a different ratio than the mtn ones (I already know they don't, since you can easily use a road RD with mtn shifters... but I had to put it out there...) or are my thumbies NFG???

email me alex(at)brodiebikes(dot)com please!
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, I think it is... I'll have to triple check... I'm not sure why the big gap mid range though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Try checking the 8-9 setting

My only thought besides the obvious seating of cable housing and proper cable tension is to check to make sure that the shifters are set on 9 speed. You can run them either way.

freak of nature

off topic sorry...

But where did you get the Paul's kit and Dura-Ace shifters ?

Thank you very much,
    Jean-Seb
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)