Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm Done

Paul Chain Keeper Reviews

How's this piece holding up for everyone? Any issues?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Just like I have found with other chain keepers I have used, you have to make sure it is set up exactly right. It can be touchy if it is a bit off.

I dropped my chain 5 times during a race recently. Cost me a high finish as I was in much better shape then the 4 people that finished in front of me. Pissed me off and I'm now going to drop the 1X9 concept and move to a 2X9. I think this new setup will be faster for me which is part of the reason for the change.

Now if your not racing, this chain keeper can work pretty well. I have been pleased overall as it has cut down on my chain drops for sure. In fact, before the race mentioned above, I hadn't dropped my chain in quite a while. If I wasn't in a race, I would have stopped and re-adjusted the chain keeper and probably been fine the rest of the day.

I had to shave mine down a bit with a dremel to get it to not hit my cranks. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No problems with chain dropping at all with mine. The only issue I think they should address is the bolts. They should switch them around so the bolt heads are on the back side. It was pretty difficult to tighten the bolts because the down tube of my bike flares where it meets the bottom bracket. I had to cut a 5mm allen down a bit to fit it in the area.

mtbr member
    I agree about the bolts being hard to access. I have a similar problem with my bike. My normal allens don't do a good job of getting to the bolts for the fine tuning. I have to use my CB multitool as it is the only allen I have that is short enough.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a couple of bikes with them and I like them. They are a PITA to install, though.

I'm Done
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I have a couple of bikes with them and I like them. They are a PITA to install, though.
    For the same reason as the others have mentioned (bolt positioning)?

I'm Done
    I sent Paul Comp an email linking to this thread. Maybe they'll re-evaluate their bolt placement. It also seems they have a new BB-mounted model. Probably old news for you all, but I hadn't seen it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paul Chain Keeper Reviews-ckbbmain.png  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've not been riding mine very long, but I've had no dropped chains so far. I'll say that it will work a lot better with a spiderless or one ring specific crank rather than a repurposed 3sp crank. The spider for the big ring prevents the keeper from sitting down as far as it could. Still, the chain is completely enveloped by the device. I like it.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

The need for singlespeed
    Another positive here. It won't fit snugly over the chain if you're running a spidered 32t ring, but it still keeps the chain on there. Bolt access is limited but possible. It requires precise adjustment initially but you can pretty much forget about it after that.

I saw another thread where someone said all these devices are unnecessary since you can reposition the spring locator in the rear der and get enough chain tension to prevent drops. I might try that next time I run 1xN.

mtbr member
    I have been using one of these for about 2 months now without a single problem.

Full fledged member
    I have a Paul on a 2010 Fisher Cobia. I am running a 32 up front. As stated the guide does not go all the way down due to the spider bolts. I did not have any issues getting the Paul on. I am going to go with a 34 up front when I get a 10 speed cassette. With the 34 the spider bolts will be less of an issue. I have not dropped a chain yet. I rode for a week without any guide when I first setup the 1x9 and did not have any drops then either. I do like the Paul and would consider the MRP as well. I have heard good things with both. It seems to me that racers prefer the MRP.
    1.21 Gigawatts

mtbr member

I've been using a Chain Keeper for a couple months with mixed results. It took a lot of tweaking to get it initially aligned. It then worked flawlessly for several weeks (including a three-hour mud-bath XC race), and recently started causing problems again.

I think the issues all stem from the mounting bolts. On my frame the bolts are nearly impossible to access and very difficult to properly torque. I have more impressions and photos on my blog.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

I'm Done
    From Paul...

Thanks for that. Good to know. It’s been a struggle trying to get them to fit all the different kinds of frames these days. I initially designed it for my steel ‘cross bikes, but then it caught on big time. We’re slowly adapting and have some real good solutions coming out soon.

Have a good ride,

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I ran a Paul Chainkeeper on my Vassago and then on my Fargo. It worked beautifully on each bike once it was set-up correctly. Never dropped a chain through the rough, even using a long cage rear der with a little longer than needed chain. There are lots of adjustment a person needs to consider though when setting them up thats for sure. The guide has to be the right height vertically, and also needs to be tilted properly to cover the increase in the chain rise on the larger rear cogs. The guide obviously has to be extended the right distance out for proper chainring\chainline, but I always found that the guide itself had to be angled slightly to properly cover the entire range of cogs in the back without rubbing on the inside of the guide. That may have been an issue with my chainline being slightly off center perhaps. Once set though I never had an issue. A very nicely built part with a nice understated look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1911
    I have been using one of these for about 2 months now without a single problem.

MRP has better design than Paul Chainkeeper at least for MTB. Jut setup and forget. It keeps a chain in the right direction when Paul Chainkeeper just prevents a chain from poping up. I had PC and my chain jammed few times on bumps and logs (once it caused disconnecting SRAM link). I have MRP now and it runs perfectly with absolutely zero adjustments.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_k
    MRP has better design than Paul Chainkeeper at least for MTB. Jut setup and forget. It keeps a chain in the right direction when Paul Chainkeeper just prevents a chain from poping up. I had PC and my chain jammed few times on bumps and logs (once it caused disconnecting SRAM link). I have MRP now and it runs perfectly with absolutely zero adjustments.
    Some of the local guys have been using the MRP with great results. I have also been checking out the e.13 xcx guide as well and they both seem to be good performers and look well made. These alternative options to the Paul chainkeeper look like something off of a downhill bike though, and rightly so as that is the core focus of both of those manufacturers. I know this is popular with some folks but for me personally its a downside and I think that is one reason that the Paul chain keeper has been popular with XC riders who like the clean understated look of the Paul guide for their XC rides. No hate for the MRP (or e.13 for that matter) here, just a counterpoint as to why some folks would prefer the Pauls over the MRP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    ...These alternative options to the Paul chainkeeper look like something off of a downhill bike though...
    I looked at the MRP as well, but I suppose I'm vain because I didn't like the look and wanted something a bit more subtle.

Short Update: On my weekly night ride yesterday I managed to bump the Chain Keeper while carrying the bike through a few fallen trees. The bump knocked the Chain Keeper out of alignment, and I spent much of the remainder of the ride trying to adjust it. I finally just gave up and set it so that it wouldn't rub in the small cog, and that is where it still is.

I have an enduro race coming up in a couple weeks and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Love mine, but setup is finicky.

Once you take the time to do it right, there is no rub or added friction. Never had a single problem with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Last edited by detroitmike; 04-20-2011 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I reccently switch to a 1x9 and have decided to go with the paul chainkeeper for my XC racing use but haven't "really" got to test it out completely yet , I have noticed that when I was doing a road ride test today I jammed the chain twice in a 30 mile period just shifting from the 13t cog to the 11t cog so I ended up taking more links out the chain to see if it'll fix that.
    As for the trails , I rode my home town course pretty fast and no problems at all probably because I was riding from the center cogs up , pretty rough and rooty stuff too.
    Well I,m going to put it to the test tomorrow @ Balm Boyette Fl. and see what the deal is .
    I'm really fond of the low profile and sleek design but what is looks if it doesn't function well, Right?
    I also got a MRP 1x if it dissapionts me tomorrow . I haven't tried that one either but I will sooner or later.

THIS BIKING THING IS DANGEROULY ADDICTIVE!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paul Chain Keeper Reviews-1x9-moto-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well here's the updates from Boyette and the Paul chain keeper review, I did extensive testing and the Paul chain keeper did pretty good on the smooth and flats but when it comes to the bumpy, rooty areas
    and trying to go fast really don't mix well, the chain tends to jump over the chainring right before the guide block and gets wedge between the guide block and the chainring knocking the guide out of whack or bending and breaking teeth on the ring , Luckily I wasn't cranking down when this happened .
    I see this guide block for more of a commuter/ NoN Agressive riding for mountain bikes , to bad it doesn't perform as good as it looks because the looks are killer.
    I see it good for road 1x9 or as a security for single speeds but for XC applications ecspecially racing is
    Selling mine, anybody wants

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I used my Paul Chainkeeper on several different bikes and can assure you that it wasn't on commuter trails. Granted the singletrack around the St.Louis isn't as rough as the ones I have ridden out west, but there are plenty of rocks and roots to contend with and my bikes get hammered a lot. The Paul chain keeper was only ever used on a rigid 29er which really adds to the beating. My experience with the chainkeeper was that I had to make a few adjustments to keep the chain from rubbing, but I never dropped a chain or had a chain jam. I used mine with a middleburn RS7 and uno ring and later with an old school race face LP with Salsa 32 T ring. No issues. My buddy bought one and he has had similar issues to the ones you describe. He is running a 952 XTR crank w/single ring and I have been with him on several occassions when his has come off and jammed. I ended-up selling my last chainkeeper with my last bike and am now running a parts bin Ngear which tends to hop off to the outside when shifting to a smaller cog whicle hitting the rough stuff. Too much chain and no outer guide to keep it in place.

What size is your Pauls clamp?

mtbr member
    Its a 31.8mm clamp dia. and looks brand spanking new, rode on it twice with less than 50miles
    PM me an offer and we'll barter the price

Plays with tools
    I've set up several of them on CX bikes and all have been great. The one thing they need to change or at least make an option is a higher mount. If they would put the clamp above the guide it would work better on carbon bikes that have oversized BB joints. Running a small-ish ring on a carbon bike it's impossible to get it as low as I'd like to see it.

mtbr member
    You can get an extension now that allows you to mount the clamp up high.

Paul Component Engineering - Chain Keeper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast