Speedhub doc.

Paging Speedhub..nate. backlash in speedhubs

Nater,

I know you've a few speedhubs, do you notice any amount of basklash or difference in pedal engagement between your differrent hubs?

Seems my newer hub has less engagment (more pedal rotation)then the older hub that I have, both hubs are geared 40 x 16

verndogger

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Vern, I don't notice any difference, but all three hubs were manufactured in the same general time frame (low serial numbers).

How new is your new one, and are you noticing increased or decreased engagement points?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Speedhub doc.

re" backlash"

I'll will have to check the serial number on the hub, I know it is a least over a year old, compared to my first hub which is in the 0700 number series, it seems less engagement points( more turning of the pedals) before engagement occurs..All 14 gears engage no mis shifts..I might email Thomas at rohloff to see what his thoughts are..

VernDogger

mtbr member
    Hi Verndog - were you able to resolve this issue? Cheers

Speedhub doc.

re: backlash.

Well, not really, I'm still doing a little investigating on the hub, mechanically it is working 100% , I want to go and put some more miles on both hubs back to back to compare to hubs at the same time, the serial numbers are 011770 (which is around 2000 ~2001 date code) and the other is 026991( which is likely 2003 or 04 date of manufacturer

I'll try both wheels this weekend (24 hour race) to see what happens.

VernDog

Mine are all pretty old... 4440, 57-something, and another under the 10K mark. So all roughly the same vintage, and no differences.

I have looked into the subject of Speedhub engagement points a few years ago. At first, I was surprised I couldn't get a consistant count per revolution... until I realized that it varied based on what gear I had selected.

At first I was disappointed by how few engagement points there were in the lower gears. But I quickly realized the same effect exists on derailleur drivetrains: the lower the gear, the fewer the engagement points per crank revolution (where it really counts while ratcheting across a rock strewen climb).

As I recall, the engagement points per crank revolution ended up being almost exactly identical to last generation's Shimano freewheel. (I believe Shimano has begun using 32 or 36 pawl freewheels, at least on their XTR stuff, so I'm not sure that the comparison applies any longer.)
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update guys. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Speedhub, so the more information I collect, the better

Slightly off-topic: I see people quote figures of 1000 miles and up before the hub really breaks in. I assume that different gears break in at different rates, depending on how frequently they are used? Will I need 1000 miles of hill climbing to fully bed-in the lower gears?

Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Will I need 1000 miles of hill climbing to fully bed-in the lower gears?
    No, they'll all come along just fine. Gear 3 (on the low side) engages all of the available gears, including the reduction drive. Gear 5 uses almost all of the gears.

Since 1 through 7 are a repeat of 8 through 14, gear 10 also uses all of the gears (minus the reducer) and gear 12 repeats gear 5.

So you've got pleanty of opportunity right there to work most of your drivetrain!

Pull the trigger already! Once you're set up with a Speedhub, you'll never want to ride a derailleur again.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    No, they'll all come along just fine. Gear 3 (on the low side) engages all of the available gears, including the reduction drive. Gear 5 uses almost all of the gears.

Since 1 through 7 are a repeat of 8 through 14, gear 10 also uses all of the gears (minus the reducer) and gear 12 repeats gear 5.

So you've got pleanty of opportunity right there to work most of your drivetrain!

Pull the trigger already! Once you're set up with a Speedhub, you'll never want to ride a derailleur again.
    Ahhh, I thought there was some engineering trickery going on in there. Good to know - thanks!

Never fear though - the hub will be purchased, I'm just making sure I have a nice buffer in my savings account. Trying to be a responsible adult, which is challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    ...just making sure I have a nice buffer in my savings account. Trying to be a responsible adult, which is challenging.
    Yeah, you don't say!?!?

I understand... I sat on the fence for a couple of years before I made the jump.

Speedhub #2 (for me) and #3 (for my wife) were much more painless. Heck, SHE was even onboard at that point!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Speedhub doc.

lower gear noticed

Thats sorta what I have noticed in the lower gears when ratcheting up a hill or rock garden, nothing that I'm worried about, Like Speedhub Nate said the second and third and.. are easyer to undertake, the odd hub shows up on ebay or pinkbike once in awhile.
    My first hub (new) is a non disc silver with the oem 2 axle plate a disc conversion kit (hubcap) is waiting to go on, a off season project, while the newer (second hand) hub was bought off of pinkbike disc compatile version with the oem 2 axle plate which makes alot cleaner set up and removal then the long torque arm version, Note, if you find a used hub, you can do alot of the conversion axleplates, sprocket changes and ex cable conversion real easy. Only thing you can't do is swap out the axle from solid to q/r, all the internals are built around the axle itself..

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Mine are all pretty old... 4440, 57-something, and another under the 10K mark. So all roughly the same vintage, and no differences.

I have looked into the subject of Speedhub engagement points a few years ago. At first, I was surprised I couldn't get a consistant count per revolution... until I realized that it varied based on what gear I had selected.

At first I was disappointed by how few engagement points there were in the lower gears. But I quickly realized the same effect exists on derailleur drivetrains: the lower the gear, the fewer the engagement points per crank revolution (where it really counts while ratcheting across a rock strewen climb).

As I recall, the engagement points per crank revolution ended up being almost exactly identical to last generation's Shimano freewheel. (I believe Shimano has begun using 32 or 36 pawl freewheels, at least on their XTR stuff, so I'm not sure that the comparison applies any longer.)