RHRF!

Paging Brett Brown or Bruce Boone (Boone Titanium Rings)

Has anyone heard anything from Brett or Bruce in the past 2 weeks? Bruce hasn't answered my emails since late December. I've been waiting for a couple of chainrings from a December 13 order.

Thanks!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Alright, let's ride!
    I received an e-mail from Brett a couple of days ago. I had to send him a couple of e-mails to get a reply as well. If you just ordered it on 12/13/05 you haven't been waiting too long. I'm still waiting on a chainring I ordered October 10/17/05. I received two chainrings from him a month or so ago but one was incorrect so he is making me a new one. I'm hoping to see it next week.

Anyway, here is what his reply said.

"Our corporate office (from my real job) has decided to send “efficiency consultants” (aka the Bobs) in this week and next week, so it may be a little hard to get out on time. Or on the other hand, I may have loads of free time to work at the shop soon. Anyway, if I can’t get to it this week, I will definitely get it cut this weekend."

RHRF!

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    I received an e-mail from Brett a couple of days ago...
    ...for your replies. I'll try his email once again but I guess I should expect some more 'wait' time...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Good Thing Their Stuff Lasts A Long Time

When it was Bruce's show I never had to wait more than 7 days from order 'til I was riding a product.
    I've got some chainrings and 2 sets of cassette cogs. I was thinking about ordering some more chainrings....but if I'm gonna have to wait....Hmmmm...
    Last edited by Shayne; 01-12-2006 at 11:10 AM.

RHRF!

Action Tec

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    When it was Bruce's show I never had to wait more than 7 days from order 'til I was riding a product.
    I've got some chainrings and 2 sets of cassette cogs. I was thinking about ordering some more chainrings....but if I'm gonna have to wait....Hmmmm...
    I also tried Action Tec but they were out of stock and didn't expect any until late January or Feburary. Action Tec Site

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    I put in an order today. Got an immediate response from someone saying they would start processing the order. We'll see how long it takes...

ಠ_ಠ
    Make sure you specify that you need your rings ramped. The default is for them not to be. Although on XTR cranks it's probably a non-issue.

I'm in the exact same boat as lowcel. Good to know I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I put in an order today. Got an immediate response from someone saying they would start processing the order. We'll see how long it takes...

ಠ_ಠ
    *Just* got a reply from Brett Boone. He's sending my Ti ring out tomorrow - sweet!

One question, does it matter how I position the middle ring? In other words, is there a wrong way to install it?

I believe it matters with Shimano rings, but this could be due to the pins. But, the Ti rings are not pinned due to their enhanced strength.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Make sure you specify that you need your rings ramped. The default is for them not to be. Although on XTR cranks it's probably a non-issue.
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't specifically ask when I ordered but after reading this I sent an email asking them to update my order. Bruce? said he would forward my request to Brett.

Just curious, why would it not be an issue on XTR cranks?

RHRF!

Word Received...

I'm in the exact same boat as lowcel. Good to know I'm not alone.
    I just got an email from Brett today and with any luck, my rings will ship sometime next week. I opted for just the 20t granny rings (no ramp worries) and I ordered 2, so that should cover me for quite a while. I'm not really upset about the wait, as I expect anything hand-crafted these days to take time - it's just that I would have liked a little more feedback on the status.

ಠ_ಠ
    Just curious, why would it not be an issue on XTR cranks?
    XTR rings are specific to XTR cranks so I would guess that there would be only one way to make them.

Alright, let's ride!
    *Just* got a reply from Brett Boone. He's sending my Ti ring out tomorrow - sweet!
    Must be nice.

Alright, let's ride!
    Woohoo, just received an e-mail. My ramped ring was mailed out yesterday. :-D

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Woohoo, just received an e-mail. My ramped ring was mailed out yesterday. :-D
    Well judging by the time it took for you to get your order done, I'm guessing I've got a LONG time to wait.

The thing that kind of sets me the wrong way is I've already been charged for the cog, but will probably have to wait another couple of months for the order to be done. To me you should never charge someone until the order is ready to ship.

Alright, let's ride!
    It's been a while but I'm sure it will be worth it. Luckily I spend most of my time on the road bike this time of year. Anyway, here is a summary of how the order went.

10/17/05 - ordered two chainrings
    12/8/05 - received chainrings (middle ring not ramped, wrong number of teeth and wrong bolt pattern)
    12/9/05 - notified them about ring and was told to send it back
    12/10/05 - mailed chainring back
    2/1/06 - received notification correct chainring has been shipped

Hopefully it will be right. I've got my fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Have any of you ever tried Cycle-Dynamics rings? I've been using them for years. Here's a link...
    http://www.coveproductions.com/cools...hainrings.html
    These are Canadian prices by the by.
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    I just got an email from Brett today and with any luck, my rings will ship sometime next week. I opted for just the 20t granny rings (no ramp worries) and I ordered 2, so that should cover me for quite a while. I'm not really upset about the wait, as I expect anything hand-crafted these days to take time - it's just that I would have liked a little more feedback on the status.

RHRF!

Need a 20t...

I wanted a 20t x 64 (4-bolt) so I went with Brett. I looked at the CD web site and they don't offer a 4-bolt 20t.

ಠ_ಠ
    I replaced my Shimano XT middle ring with a Boone Ti 32t ring. The Shimano ring fits flush against the grooves in the crank arm, which I'm sure helped take most of the shearing force since it prevented it from rotating. But, the new Boone ring doesn't fit flush, there is a few mm's between it and the grooves (or shelves) on the arm; so it's just kind of floating on the arm, relying solely on the chainring bolts to keep it in place.

I'm worried about my FSA alloy chainring bolts failing. Does anyone think it might be problematic?

RHRF!

20t x 64 - Heaven Sent!

I finally received my 20t x 64 Brett Brown/Boone Ti chainring on Friday, 2/3/06 (ordered on 12/13/05). Mounted it Friday night and rode up the Sunrise Trail in Scottsdale (approx. 1000ft elevation gain in 2 miles) and it was one sweet ascent! I've been riding a 20t granny since 1994 and I didn't know how much I missed it until now! Rode with the 22t for 3 months and I'm sooooooo glad to be back in my turtle mode once again!

Thanks Brett!

Viva la Spin!

Alright, let's ride!
    Here's a few pictures of the new chainrings. 20t ring weighs 17 grams, 31t weighs 31 grams. I also got a Extralite 44t ring. That thing is pretty sharp as well. It weighs in at 62 grams.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Have any of you ever tried Cycle-Dynamics rings?
    I got a middle ring from them last year that still looks brand new, so I just got one of their little rings. Great quality, and they arrived about a week after I ordered. Plus they threw in a free North Shore calendar!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Well judging by the time it took for you to get your order done, I'm guessing I've got a LONG time to wait.

The thing that kind of sets me the wrong way is I've already been charged for the cog, but will probably have to wait another couple of months for the order to be done. To me you should never charge someone until the order is ready to ship.
    Well I got notification that my cog shipped on Monday Feb. 6th, so not too long of a wait at all. Should arrive sometime later this week (USPS so no telling for sure) and I'll post up some initial feedback on it when I get it.

For future ref.:

Ordered Jan 12th
    Shipped Feb 6h

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if Boone will be taking orders in the near future?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Does anyhave the website/ contact information for the ti chainring guys. I'm looking for worn out rings to create my custom bashguard for my 1x9 set up.
    also, for Lowcell, great looking crankset. i was thinking of using the fsa crankarms for my new set, or the extralight bones. how have those worked for you?

thx,
    holiday