mtbr member
    Oct 2004

ow much better is? Deore, LX, XT?

OK i am wondering how much better is a step up in the Shimano line. I have LX derailler, Deore shifters and Formula hubs just so you know. I was just going to upgrade to the LX version of shifters and hubs but after looking I have found more XT hubs that are within my price range. As far as shifters just going up one level to LX am I going to notice much difference? The LX derailler I have will stay until its broke. My past bike was all LX with a XT crank and worked great. Is LX shifters closer to the XT version or the Deore version? Is there much difference? I think the 95 version LX shifter/brake lever shifted smother than the current deore that I have now. Also opinions on current brake/shifter combo units welcome.

Chillin the Most
    Difference between Deore & XT hubs, weight that's it. Everything else is the same.

As far as shifters go, I've never noticed a difference between the shifting of my Deore, LX or XT's. Although I prefer the latter 2 because I can remove the indicators, Deore are one piece.

As for going with a shifter/brake combo unit, the current trend is to go with seperate parts. This way if something breaks, say your brake lever, you don't have to replace parts that aren't broken like your shifters. Good luck.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Difference between Deore & XT hubs, weight that's it. Everything else is the same.

As far as shifters go, I've never noticed a difference between the shifting of my Deore, LX or XT's. Although I prefer the latter 2 because I can remove the indicators, Deore are one piece.

As for going with a shifter/brake combo unit, the current trend is to go with seperate parts. This way if something breaks, say your brake lever, you don't have to replace parts that aren't broken like your shifters. Good luck.

i'm told XT freehubs are better than Deore. I believe you can install an XT freehub on a deore hub with the proper axle.

deore freehubs have never lasted me a full season.

XT deraillers usually last about one season.
    i'd have gotten 2 out of my XTR derailler if it didn't get sucked into my spokes so many times this year

ymmv.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would recomend upgrading the deore shifters to xt. Much better response. I also have the sram rocket pods, they work with shimano derailleurs, the alloy thumb shifter is sexy. Any thing that is made of metal rather than the plastic deores will give you a better shift. Although the deores are still working.

I have a silly little deore hub and its lasted a very long time and its on the second pair of rims. Besides wieght I cant find anything wrong with them; maybe engagement points.

mtbr member
    Generally as you go up, the build quality, weight and feel improve. You get what you pay for... although that's really not the case with XTR- as it really only is slightly lighter than XT (although 2007 XTR is much better than XT).

New but learning
    Jul 2006
    I think the key is not to try the high end stuff you can't afford. I've got deore shifters, and I think they feel great! As long as I don't try anything too much better in the near future (I'm a poor student, after all), my deores should do me just fine till I've got money to burn on upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've often wondered myself. I'm a newb and have only been riding a month. My entry level bike seems to shift just fine. I don't know how much better it could get. I mean, its a chain jumping over sprockets, thats about the worst method of shifting gears thats ever been devised. It works for a bike, but is paying more for better parts really worth it. I guess thats a personal decision.

I do like the fact that the higher end stuff uses more metal and less plastic. I can also understand how they might have a better "feel", but mine feel just fine as is.

Kevo

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ditto!

To a point... Take this like a grain of salt, however, I have an Alivio Front Derailleur(sp?), Alivio shifters, and Deore Rear Derail. and i figure its fine, well except maybe the FD

But they work fine, so i feel there is no point in upgrading them unless they break.

IMO

mtbr member
    Buddy, I have used and ridden full LX, XT & XTR groupsets. I currently have two bikes, one being full XT with centre lock hubs and the other being full XTR. LX works fine, especially the dual control. What you get as you head up the line is a weight saving, better build and more precise shifting. I would say though that LX would require less tuning compared to the higher end gear. I don't care what anyone says, XTR is totally awesome and noticeably different to XT, as XT is to LX. Do you really think there wouldnt be a difference? I can ride either system but prefer dual control for XC racing. You can still shift for easier gears while braking if you leave the thumb leaver on, you can grab a hand full of harder gears at once when picking up speed and with the rapid rise rear mech, you can totally stand on it while shifting to an easier gear uphill as the spring tension is in reverse. I don't see the replacement cost argument as a factor. If I did, I wouldnt use and high end gear and have never had to replace shifters anyway. I have nothing against the more conventional system either though.

mtbr member

Good job! XT is better

In my experience XT does shift better under stress. If you can only afford one or the other, i would would upgrade your shifters first, as the make the biggest difference. If you look at an XT rear deraileur it has more material than an LX so it will be more durable. I have ridden XTR and I cant tell much of a difference though. XTR is coldforged instead of molded, which is the strongest way to manufacture alloys. Now XTR would be more durable than XT if they used the same amount of materal, but they dont. Acording to Shimano XTR is less durable and is designed to be a racing component. So the bottom line is that LX is good "not quite as durable but shifts well" and XT is very good. It all depends on what you want to spend. I currently run full XT and love it and i have used them all. Good luck!
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite