MTBiker
    Oct 2006

Overtighten bottom bracket

Is it possible to overtighten the bottom bracket?

I need to make mine fairly tight to hold the guide from slipping easily, so do I have anything to worry about as far as damaging the frame from having too much tension on the threads?

Also what are some solutions to damaged frame threads in the BB area?
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

It depends on the....

the bottom bracket. Is it a new external bearing design or the older cartridge sytle?, and what brand. A shimano cartridge style bb has a torque spec of 435 to 608 lb/in (that's INCH POUNDS not foot pounds) or 36 to 50 foot pounds of torque. If you are worried about it get a torque wrench! Simnple as that. Other manufacturers torque specs for bbs vary a bit but are generally in that range. External bearing bottom brackets are different though, the torque spec and where the torque is applied is totally different. But for a cartridge bb as long as you stay in that range you're okay.

As for thread repair in the bottom bracket housing, it depends totaly on how bad the threads are damaged. If they are chewed a little bit or stretched there is a tap made that can be used to clean them up. But if the threads are stripped smooth there isn't much you can do for it. It's called "new frame time"!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Hey thanks. It's an internal bearing type. I think it's truvativ isis drive (there's no labeling, on it anywhere, its just gold colored inside)
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti