Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Oversized (36t-38t) 9 speed cogs with wide base (Al carrier friendly)?

I have been toying with the idea of modifying my 9 speed cassette by adding a single oversized cog. Something in the 36t-38t range. My concern is that I have an aluminum cassette carrier, and a typical single cog (as opposed to cogs on a carrier) of that size is going to dig into the carrier pretty good. I've leaned this the hard way with a loose 32t cog, and I assume a larger cog will only be worse.

What I am looking for is a single cog that has a wide base, like some Single Speed cogs I have seen. They flare out and get thicker where they interface with the carrier. Anybody know of one?

If I were running 9 speed I'd be looking at the General Lee Wide Range adaptor, but it looks like it only comes in 10 speed. Might be too much $ though.

Thanks
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of modifying my 9 speed cassette by adding a single oversized cog. Something in the 36t-38t range. My concern is that I have an aluminum cassette carrier, and a typical single cog (as opposed to cogs on a carrier) of that size is going to dig into the carrier pretty good. I've leaned this the hard way with a loose 32t cog, and I assume a larger cog will only be worse.

What I am looking for is a single cog that has a wide base, like some Single Speed cogs I have seen. They flare out and get thicker where they interface with the carrier. Anybody know of one?

If I were running 9 speed I'd be looking at the General Lee Wide Range adaptor, but it looks like it only comes in 10 speed. Might be too much $ though.

Thanks
    Why not use the Shimano 12-36 9 speed, isn't that 36 spider/unit a couple cogs wide?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Oversized (36t-38t) 9 speed cogs with wide base (Al carrier friendly)?

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Why not use the Shimano 12-36 9 speed, isn't that 36 spider/unit a couple cogs wide?
    No. The 12-36 9-sp is individual cogs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    There is this one from MTB Tools on eBay.
    36 Tooth Cog for Mountain Bike Cassette 36T Sprocket | eBay

Otherwise, what hub are you running? Maybe there is a steel freehub body available for your hub that would allow you to use the Shimano 12-36 tooh 9 speed cassette.

Hope and King for instance offer steel freehub bodies.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    There is this one from MTB Tools on eBay.
    36 Tooth Cog for Mountain Bike Cassette 36T Sprocket | eBay

Otherwise, what hub are you running? Maybe there is a steel freehub body available for your hub that would allow you to use the Shimano 12-36 tooh 9 speed cassette.

Hope and King for instance offer steel freehub bodies.
    I did see that one, but it does not look to me like it gets thicker at the base. I asked the seller just in case.

I have a hope pro 2 hub, the first generation. I have considered looking into a steel body, but again that is getting into more $ than I would like to spend.

EDIT: Just heard back from the seller it is a uniform thickness, NOT flared at the bottom.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No. The 12-36 9-sp is individual cogs.
    Luckily This thread is here, was about to pick one up for my ss.. thanks shiggy.. You seen if the 10 speeders have a sprocket unit there? May have to mod one of those

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    someone used to make an adapter to mount 4 bolt chainrings onto a shimano freehub. this was a few years back and i couldn't find it via google search so they might not be around anymore.