I should be studying...

New question here. Which outboard bearings are smoother

Hey guys, I'm using a Race face Deus crank and have notitced that the race face bearings aren't exactly "smooth". Are the XTR bearings better/more reliable? Are there any other outboard bearings/cups that are comaptible with the X-type bb?

-Amadeo
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Don't go with shimano BB bearings!! Raceface uses a much better quality bearing. If that doesn't work for you call your local bearing shop and order a pair of 6805 sealed bearings. Should be about $7 each and you can replace them yourself.
    www.mudrider.blogspot.com

Chrome Toaster
    Don't worry if they don't feel as smooth. Oatboard bearings have a long break in period and the big bearings drag more the smaller traditional types. What they should do is roll evenly. When you turn the crank by hand you should feel it turn smoothly and evenly. If it feels notchy, grindy, or like it sort of has detents during the turn then that means the bearings are being excessively sideloaded. In the case of raceface cranks go to the smaller elastomer and make sure the BB shell is faced to within proper specifications.

The Shimano bearings are not necessarily any better or worse. The do roll smoother because they have 1/2 the amount of balls and use a bearing holder cage. The Race Face ones don't use the cage and are full ball complement. In theory the Race Face bearing will be much better suited to handle static loads such as jumping impacts due to the higher ball count. The problem with the full ball load is that it leaves very very little room for grease. The Race Face bearings tend to feel more draggy and seize sooner if you don't keep this in check. The spaces between the shimano bearings can carry a healthy amount of grease to keep them turning smoother with lower maintenance intervals.

I should be studying...
    How do I grease the race face bearing? Can it be done?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe
    How do I grease the race face bearing? Can it be done?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309