mtbr member

New question here. out with the granny

is there a way to take of my grannie gear then change my xt front derailer so my chain dosnt drop thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just curious - Why are you wanting to remove the granny ring? weight reduction from a part you don't use?

I have no expeirence with this but from my reading it seems you would just need to readjust the front derailer. What I wonder is if the derailer has that much adjustment? Perhaps you could try to set the low gear limit stop to prevent you from shifting onto the granny ring and see if that adjustment works before you actually remove the ring.

mtbr member

High and low screws on the f/ der.

I am not sure about how to adjust the shifters. I am guessing that as long as you adjust the hi lo screws on the f/ der you can leave the shifters alone No third gear if the derailer does no move to it. I would set the high low screws so the derailer can only move between you outer and middle ring. and then set the shifter to grannygear ( letting all the cable out) attach the cable to derailer. Now with a little adjusting Granny gear on the shifter should operate the middle ring, middle gear on the shifter should operate the outer (big ring) and you should not be able to shift into outergear setting on the shifter because the derailer does not go any further. I am not any expert in the field but after building a few bikes this seems the logical way. If anybody knows a different way chime in.

bang
    i tried to do this (adjust derailer low limit so it stays over the middle chainring), but it did not have that much adjustment. this was with a shimano lx front derailer. you might be able to do this by increasing the cable tension with the shifter in the lowest position. or maybe a combination of both. frankly, i think it would be more of a pain than it's worth.

≈ > ♥
    It's very easy and simple to do. How do you think people run a dual ring setup on their big-bikes?

Just like chruby said... remove your cable from the der, and click shifter into granny position. Adjust your lower limit screw so that it's at the middle ring, and reinstall your cable. If you don't get enough of an adjust out of the screw, just use something to hold/lever the der in place over the middle ring, while you install the cable where the der is placed where you want it. It won't be able to shift down, as there is no cable slack available for it to move.

mtbr member
    THANKS,I just took sixth at nationals racing 16 and under sport missing the podium by only six seconds and I ran the dual front ring.

mtbr member

What are you running

Where are you racing in vegas?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ride-a-day
    Just curious - Why are you wanting to remove the granny ring? weight reduction from a part you don't use?
    Yeah, and I don't use it on my 36lb "all mountain" bike either. Usually we just have ourselves pyschologically convinced that we "can't" do a climb in anything but granny gear. In any event, there isn't really a good solution, you either have to adjust the inner limit of the derailer, or run some sort of simple chainguide system. Think about how much an alloy granny ring weights though, probably 20-30g, virtually nothing. You don't really save any weight here if you still need a front derailer, and if you don't you need some kind of guide, which puts the weight back on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I dont think I've ever used my granny ring in a ride or race on purpose. I was racing in senoma at the national championships.

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    You don't really save any weight here if you still need a front derailer, and if you don't you need some kind of guide, which puts the weight back on.
    i guess you haven't seen the 1x9 thread? there is no need for a downhill-type guide to keep the chain on; most people just use a 20 gram n-gear jump stop, which certainly weighs a lot less than a front derailer.

mtbr member
    If you're running a double chainring setup, and have a frame with a bottom pull FD, you can use a road FD which saves a bunch of weight......

Now broadcasting from CO

Yes...

there is. All you have to do is tighten the inner adjustment screw (the one on the left if you are looking down the chain from the rear wheel) all the way in. It will restrict the motion two just the top two rings. I did it and I am never turning back.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    i guess you haven't seen the 1x9 thread? there is no need for a downhill-type guide to keep the chain on; most people just use a 20 gram n-gear jump stop, which certainly weighs a lot less than a front derailer.
    I ride a lot harder than that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.