Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    127

    Original Grip Shift

    I have a 1996 Giant ATX 840 that has some Grip Shift shifters on them. I am looking at upgrading the drivetrain on the cheap and want to change out the derailers. I know that the new Sram twist shifters only work with Sram rear derailers, but my Giant is running a cheap Shimano RD. Does anyone know if I can use a newer Shimano RD (LX or XT) with these shifters?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Is it an 8 speed or a 7 speed?

  3. #3
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,342
    These are compatible with Shimano
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,056
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00
    I have a 1996 Giant ATX 840 that has some Grip Shift shifters on them. I am looking at upgrading the drivetrain on the cheap and want to change out the derailers. I know that the new Sram twist shifters only work with Sram rear derailers, but my Giant is running a cheap Shimano RD. Does anyone know if I can use a newer Shimano RD (LX or XT) with these shifters?
    Yes, they will. The derailleurs are fine. If you are replacing the cassette just be sure it has the number of cogs.

    BTW the original Grip Shift is about ten years older.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    127
    boomn - Bikepedia says 7 speed.

    highdell - Those look promising. I will check them out. Thx for the link.

    shiggy - Are you saying that this will work? I was going to replace the cassette, Are you saying match the derailers and shifters to the cog number?

    I was going to replace the crankset(because of broken teeth on big chainring), both derailers, cassette and chain, and keep my shifters, but now that I realize that I am only running 7 speed,I do not think I can find 7 speed stuff anymore, unless I go through ebay. Maybe I should jump up to at least 8 speed, maybe go all the way to 9 speed. Will my current hubs work with 8 or 9 speed or are hubs cassette specific?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    7 speed hubs won't work with 8 or 9spd cassettes

    I guess its possible that it was on a 8/9spd hub but with a with spacer to make up the difference

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,056
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00
    boomn - Bikepedia says 7 speed.

    highdell - Those look promising. I will check them out. Thx for the link.

    shiggy - Are you saying that this will work? I was going to replace the cassette, Are you saying match the derailers and shifters to the cog number?

    I was going to replace the crankset(because of broken teeth on big chainring), both derailers, cassette and chain, and keep my shifters, but now that I realize that I am only running 7 speed,I do not think I can find 7 speed stuff anymore, unless I go through ebay. Maybe I should jump up to at least 8 speed, maybe go all the way to 9 speed. Will my current hubs work with 8 or 9 speed or are hubs cassette specific?
    If you do have a 7-speed cassette (which you can still get replacements for) you will need to replace the rear hub to go to 8 or 9-speed.

    Any current Shimano derailleur will work with your 7-speed shifters and a 7-speed cassette. The newer cranksets will work, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    127
    So even if the derailers & crankset say 8 or 9 speed they will work. Is it because the shifter only allow for 7 positions.

  9. #9
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,342
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00
    So even if the derailers & crankset say 8 or 9 speed they will work. Is it because the shifter only allow for 7 positions.
    The only thing derailleurs and crank-sets are concerned with are chain width. The derailleurs will move into any position they are told to (barring any limitations I'm unaware of...maybe really old systems?) by the shifter.
    The shifters control the Indexing. They move the cable a pre-determined amount. That amount has to be matched with the spacing of your cogs or the cassettes capability. With 'friction-shifters', this is not a problem - but who likes those things anymore .

    The only issue with cranksets (and cassettes - not speaking of hub-fitting) is the width of the chain (1/8" vs. 3/16") and if I'm not mistaken (I'll surely get a public reaming if I am ) that wont be an issue.

    My advice is; if you wanna keep the "drivetrain-revamp" as cheap as possible is to:
    Get those twisties I linked
    Find a 7-spd cassette if yours is worn ( ie shark finned)
    LX rear mech - (I dunno if the front needs changin' - they are so simple) but LX again
    Some new cables and housings ( I like the Jagwires for my shifting personally)
    A chain - KMC has done me well (they Include the 'quick-link' or whatever its called, as well does SRAM)

    As far as crank-sets go...it takes a little bit more of discerning if you need one - they tend to wear more-slowly than cassettes because they usually get shifted-on less often (like cassettes - look for 'shark-fins').
    If it needs replacing, see if the chain-rings are riveted or bolted on. If it's riveted, ya gotta get a new set (go with the bolt-on if ya do). If Its bolted, you can just order a new ring that fits your crank's spider and your needs. Usually, one ring will wear before the others...It's the ring you normally ride/climb in (obviously ), but just replacing that can save you a bit of $$ vs. a whole crankset. (If you have that option)

    *Disclaimer - other opinions may differ!!

    *Edit, also know, mixing SRAM and Shimano can be tricky. SRAM has a 1:1 AND a :2:1 ratio available for their (some) shifters, while Shimano has a 1:1. (I am not aware of a shifter from Shimano that has 2:1)
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-09-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    127
    Well, my bike LBS told me that I needed to get a whole new set. I have a couple of broken teeth on the big chainring. I will check to see if it is bolted or not when I get home.

    Thanks for all of the info everyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •