Icebiker

Ordering a replacement rear der...is mine a medium or long cage?

Need some help. Bunged up my SRAM 10sp Type 2 X9 rear derailleur and need to order a new one. While I've replaced a bunch of rear mech's before on my past bikes, they were all long cages as I was running 3X9.

This on the other hand is a new bike (4 months old), and is my first 2X10, so I can't be sure what length the derailleur is. I assumed by comparing it to my old X7, (which is the upper one in the pics below), that the X9 (lower one in the pics below) is a medium cage. Yet when I go to SRAM's drivetrain compatibility chart (See link below) and I look up my configuration (22/36 chainrings, 11-36 cassette), it seems to say I need a long cage.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/2y...mponents_0.pdf

So, can you advise whether my trashed X9 is a long cage or medium? This is on a Trigger 29er. Cannondale's site doesn't specify the cage length, only the model.

Here are the pics: upper derailleur is my old X7 9-sp long cage (from my parts bin), lower derailleur is the new X9 I'm trying to replace. You'll see the distance between the jockey pulley axle holes is about 1/2". The last pic is the X9 in question. Note I'm not looking to simply re-use my old X7, even though it'll cover the cassette spread. I like the clutch feature on the X9 so want to replace it with the same model.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    X-9 10-speed rear derailleur on the SRAM website - they are listed as 55mm, 75mm, and 99mm for the short, medium, and long versions.

mtbr member
    I agree, the SRAM site suggests long cage. I would comply with their recommendation.

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I agree, the SRAM site suggests long cage. I would comply with their recommendation.
    Thanks folks. Challenge remains that the bike seems to have come with a medium cage (75mm = approx 3", as in my pic), but the SRAM site recommends long cage. I may end up emailing Cannondale...perhaps there's a reason they spec'd it that way. FWIW, the bike came with a 36/22 chainring set up, but I've swapped the 36 to a 32, so the total tooth spread is now a 35 instead of a 39.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    Thanks folks. Challenge remains that the bike seems to have come with a medium cage (75mm = approx 3", as in my pic), but the SRAM site recommends long cage. I may end up emailing Cannondale...perhaps there's a reason they spec'd it that way. FWIW, the bike came with a 36/22 chainring set up, but I've swapped the 36 to a 32, so the total tooth spread is now a 35 instead of a 39.
    if your going to use 32/22 the med will suffice.