Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    Orange XTR Cogs...

    The titanium cogs on my XTR and DuraAce cassettes keep turning orange...

    The discoloration seems to come off a little when I scrub the daylights out of them with Simple Green, but there must be a better solvent for this phenomenon. Tried regular paint thinner but it wasn't much better.

    Anyone have any luck with stronger stuff?

    JMH

  2. #2
    Preemptive Revenger
    Reputation: rapwithtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    The titanium cogs on my XTR and DuraAce cassettes keep turning orange...

    The discoloration seems to come off a little when I scrub the daylights out of them with Simple Green, but there must be a better solvent for this phenomenon. Tried regular paint thinner but it wasn't much better.

    Anyone have any luck with stronger stuff?

    JMH
    Is the orange just simply rust? If so, scrubbing with Simple Green (which is never a good idea anyway), does a great job of removing chain lube from the cogs, which is what protects against rust...

    Simple Green works fine, it's just overkill for cleaning parts. Additionally, it may remove any grease inside the little rollers on your chain, and once gone it's difficult to keep that area lubed.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  3. #3
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    Titanium cogs, not steel

    No, it isn't rust. It is only the Titanium cogs and as you probably know, Titanium doesn't rust. I am sure it is SOME sort of oxidization, though.

    I don't use Simple Green to clean my drivetrain. Simple Green is good for many things, but in my opinion it is somewhat ineffective for proper drivetrain cleaning. What I discovered, though, was that Simple Green was the only thing I had on-hand that worked (albiet not brilliantly) on the discoloration of the cassette cogs. Traditional rust removers did not. And it still required a great deal of scrubbing.

    As an aside, letting the cassette become covered with dirty chain lube to prevent rust is probably not as effective as regularly cleaning and drying the drivetrain and keeping the chain properly lubed.

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    Is the orange just simply rust? If so, scrubbing with Simple Green (which is never a good idea anyway), does a great job of removing chain lube from the cogs, which is what protects against rust...

    Simple Green works fine, it's just overkill for cleaning parts. Additionally, it may remove any grease inside the little rollers on your chain, and once gone it's difficult to keep that area lubed.

  4. #4
    Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Reputation: Shayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,354

    Titanium Is Naturally An Earthy Orange Colour

    So I would agree on the oxidation idea

    Or perhaps rust from the chain.

    I wouldnt worry about it too much. Actually it sounds kinda neat. None of my Ti cogs or chainrings have ever changed colours.
    *** --- *** --- ***

  5. #5
    Preemptive Revenger
    Reputation: rapwithtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    No, it isn't rust. It is only the Titanium cogs and as you probably know, Titanium doesn't rust. I am sure it is SOME sort of oxidization, though.

    I don't use Simple Green to clean my drivetrain. Simple Green is good for many things, but in my opinion it is somewhat ineffective for proper drivetrain cleaning. What I discovered, though, was that Simple Green was the only thing I had on-hand that worked (albiet not brilliantly) on the discoloration of the cassette cogs. Traditional rust removers did not. And it still required a great deal of scrubbing.

    As an aside, letting the cassette become covered with dirty chain lube to prevent rust is probably not as effective as regularly cleaning and drying the drivetrain and keeping the chain properly lubed.

    JMH
    "Rust" can mean either ferrous oxidation or, more generally, metallic oxidation. Since you were talking about titanium cogs, I of course was talking about titanium oxidation! (Maybe I could use the adjective and have it be titanic oxidation?)

    Anyway, one of the major purposes for keeping things lubed is to prevent oxidation. That's true in many applications other than bikes as well...cars, boats, planes...if you remove the film of oil coating the cogs, you're simply facilitating faster oxidation. That's true whether it's "dirty chain lube" or something else. And that's all that I was saying. .

    And logically speaking, I disagree with your last paragraph. Letting the cassette become covered with dirty chain lube would in fact do better at inhibiting its rusting than would regular cleaing of the drivetrain. (Of course there is in practice an obvious and superior solution, but that's not what you said.)

    So, I do suggest that your titanium cogs might show less rusting if you didn't use Simple Green on them.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    I know what you mean. I've seen the orange look on the Ti XTR cogs. I think its due mainly to the Ti having a softer and more porous finish than the steel cogs. Steel particles from the chain and dirt get into the pores and oxidize. Usually regular dishwashing soap and a stiff bruch did the trick for me when I cleaned the cassette. I wouldn't worry about cleaning it too much. Seems like a lot of work for a minor cosmetic issue.

  7. #7
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    True...

    It is a bit of work, but I don't mind. I don't want them to be orange and I am willing to do the work to keep them gray just because that's the way I want them to be.

    I take my cassettes off and clean them at least once a month anyway, so it's not too much trouble. I will try the dish soap.

    JMH


    Usually regular dishwashing soap and a stiff bruch did the trick for me when I cleaned the cassette. I wouldn't worry about cleaning it too much. Seems like a lot of work for a minor cosmetic issue.[/QUOTE]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •