mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Optimal 1x9 Set Up

I recently converted to a 1x9 set up and love it. Far fewer cuts to the right leg.

I took off the outer 44 chain ring, left the 22 (figured it was too much work to take off w/o the right tools), added a bash guard, and added a chain stop on the inside.

That got me thinking: Are there performance advantages and/or weight advantages to buying a single speed crank rather than converting as I did?

For example, I was looking at Bontrager's Single Speed Lite:
    http://www.bontrager.com/model/04029/en

Would there be any compatibility issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eneff
    That got me thinking: Are there performance advantages and/or weight advantages to buying a single speed crank rather than converting as I did?
    The only advantage to a SS crankset (that I can think of) would be the teeth would not be ramped. But, you can just buy an unramped chainring and use it with your cranks. Just check for compatibility with your chain. I have a dedicated SS crankset on one bike and a three ring crankset that was converted (new chainring for middle, others gone, add bashguard) and I can't really tell a difference.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Depending on what you run, you could run a spiderless crankset like the White Industries ENO (what I've got) or a spiderless XTR (if you find the rings for it) or a Middleburn with Boone rings (rare, $$$). All of the above would be pretty darn light.

The Bontrager SS crank is pretty crap. Not a fan at all.