mtbr member

Opinions on Race Face Deus SL titanium?

I believe its a 2011 model, complete and new in box from a local bike club guy with BB and 3 ring set-up. I'll be running it as a single ring for a 1x10 but its pretty light, close to XTR weight.

But it has a titanium crank shaft, is this going to be ok for a 230# rider doing XC and some racing?

Found very little in the way of reviews on here, supposed to be a special edition titanium model, was expensive when it was new.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I've think the biggest issue with Ti in components is it is not as hard as steel alloys and thus easier to strip or round out if you over-torque something for example. I have never heard of anyone breaking a BB spindle assuming that's what you mean by "crank shaft". That said, it could be flexy compared to a steel spindle. I don't see any advantage to that set over say XTR, but if you're getting it for a song it seems like a good bet. I would bet the steel axle version of that same Race Face crankset is only slightly heavier but a lot less money.