mtbr member

Opinions please. Which group is best deal...

Just like the tag line states. Which of the two drivetrain kits below do you think is the better deal. Costs included:

Cost: $509.00
    Shimano XT M770 Kit
    The Shimano XT M770 Kit includes Shimano Deore XT M770 Rapidfire Shifter Pods, Shimano Deore XT Front Derailleur, Shimano Deore XT M770 Cassette, Shimano Deore XT M772 Shadow Rear Derailleur, Shimano XT HG93 9 Speed Chain, and Shimano Deore XT M770 Crankset.

or

Cost: $332.00
    Shimano SLX M660 Kit
    The Shimano SLX M660 Kit includes Shimano SLX M660 Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket, Shimano SLX HG61 Cassette, Shimano LX HG73 9 Speed Chain, Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire Shifter Pods, Shimano SLX M662 Shadow Rear Derailleur, and Shimano SLX M660 Front Derailleur.

Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just built up a mixed up kit by hunting for deals.

Deore XT FD - $15
    SRAM X9 RD - $60
    LX Cranks - $75
    Deore XT Cassette - $50
    SRAM PC970 chain - $20
    SRAM X9 Twisters - $35

Total - $255

I actually ended up swapping out the X9 RD for a X7 since I managed to snag a short cage for $35. So, effectively Total = $235.

I also got some Jagwire L3 housing for the shifters to run full length.

Basically, spend a little time on the shopping. Keep a watch on Chainlove and the JensonUSA OE deals. You can do MUCH better than those kits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker

Deore XT FD - $15
    SRAM X9 RD - $60
    LX Cranks - $75
    Deore XT Cassette - $50
    SRAM PC970 chain - $20
    SRAM X9 Twisters - $35

Total - $255

I actually ended up swapping out the X9 RD for a X7 since I managed to snag a short cage for $35. So, effectively Total = $235.

Basically, spend a little time on the shopping. Keep a watch on Chainlove and the JensonUSA OE deals. You can do MUCH better than those kits.
    Are these all new parts, or are some used?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin
    Are these all new parts, or are some used?

All new. Some OE (meaning they come in bulk packaging).

mtbr member
    The only downside I see in your set-up for me, as a clyde, is the crankset. Although I have heard that the LX crank is almost every bit as good as the XT or SLX. Maybe just a few extra grams in the chainrings. Did you consider any cranks other than the LX, and if so, what besides price made you go with LX. Thanks

mtbr member
    Can anyone with the deore xt rear derailleurs and or shifters comment on them? im looking at buying either the xt shifters or an xt shadow RD but i usually see bad reviews on the store sites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker

Deore XT FD - $15
    SRAM X9 RD - $60
    LX Cranks - $75
    Deore XT Cassette - $50
    SRAM PC970 chain - $20
    SRAM X9 Twisters - $35

Total - $255

Oh, and one last thing, not to sound like a jerk either, but just wondering: wouldn't there be at least $50 bucks in shipping invested in ordering that stuff as well?

mtbr member
    Just like the tag line states. Which of the two drivetrain kits below do you think is the better deal. Costs included:

Cost: $509.00
    Shimano XT M770 Kit
    The Shimano XT M770 Kit includes Shimano Deore XT M770 Rapidfire Shifter Pods, Shimano Deore XT Front Derailleur, Shimano Deore XT M770 Cassette, Shimano Deore XT M772 Shadow Rear Derailleur, Shimano XT HG93 9 Speed Chain, and Shimano Deore XT M770 Crankset.

or

Cost: $332.00
    Shimano SLX M660 Kit
    The Shimano SLX M660 Kit includes Shimano SLX M660 Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket, Shimano SLX HG61 Cassette, Shimano LX HG73 9 Speed Chain, Shimano SLX M660 Rapidfire Shifter Pods, Shimano SLX M662 Shadow Rear Derailleur, and Shimano SLX M660 Front Derailleur.

Thanks for your time.
    Either one is a good deal, but the SLX group will be heavier -- especially the crank. My previous experience with (older) XT vs LX is that the XT derailleurs seem to shift more positively, and stay adjusted better. I suspect that they use a stronger spring arrangement. If it is possible to 'mix and match', you may want to consider SLX shifters, chain, and crank with XT derailleurs. This should give you XT level performance at a reduced price. If weight is a critical factor for you, I suggest the XT crank combined with SLX components for the remainder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The only downside I see in your set-up for me, as a clyde, is the crankset. Although I have heard that the LX crank is almost every bit as good as the XT or SLX. Maybe just a few extra grams in the chainrings. Did you consider any cranks other than the LX, and if so, what besides price made you go with LX. Thanks
    Nope.. CompetitveCyclist has the SLX for $115. This was a little tempting. But, I'm just a poor grad student living on Ramen. The $40 difference = a months supply of Ramen

Oh, and one last thing, not to sound like a jerk either, but just wondering: wouldn't there be at least $50 bucks in shipping invested in ordering that stuff as well?
    Not really
    Let me break it down in a little more detail for you

Deore XT FD - $15
    LX Cranks - $75
    Deore XT Cassette - $50

The above were from Jenson. $5.95 Economy shipping.

SRAM X9 RD - $60
    Chainlove. Also managed to get some tires from them. Hence, initial 6.99+1.98 second item shipping. So about 5 bucks again.

SRAM X9 Twisters - $35
    This was from Performance Bike. Their regular price was $40 + shipping. Coupons got that down to $35 shipped.

SRAM PC970 chain - $20
    This came from Pricepoint while they had their free shipping promo recently.

So, in total, shipping would be about $15 MAX.

mtbr member
    Think of the SLX group as a cooler looking xt group that weighs the same and costs less. Shimano stepped on their own toes with the slx group.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

confused

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    Think of the SLX group as a cooler looking xt group that weighs the same and costs less. Shimano stepped on their own toes with the slx group.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinMIch
    Either one is a good deal, but the SLX group will be heavier -- especially the crank.
    ??????
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy
    ??????
    I've read--though I haven't looked up the numbers--that the difference in weight between 2010 SLX and 2010 XT is not that big. Essentially, for almost the same weight, SLX is arguably as good as XT. I don't know if this is true, but I've read it before. That's partially why I started this thread. I'm prolly going to end up with SLX, but I'm a clyde, so I wondered if people had strong opinions. Say maybe the cassette and chain make a big difference or something. I guess the cranks are virtually equal. The SLX rear der. and shifters do use more plastic, but how much will that matter? As for crisp/better shifting, will a weekend warrior even notice? Anyways, that's why I think people make the argument that SLX is better. Anybody want to argue for XT? At least at these prices?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I recall the XT crankset being 40g lighter. I'm too lazy to go re-find the numbers; I think Shimano actually posts them. And maybe starbike has them.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    I recall the XT crankset being 40g lighter. I'm too lazy to go re-find the numbers; I think Shimano actually posts them. And maybe starbike has them.
    You are correct sir! XT: 850g SLX: 889g

The XT is a hard sell at $60 more than the SLX.

mtbr member
    if i remember right, slx arms were pretty close to... xtr! i think the arms were actually lighter than xt, the rings, and bash on the double, adding the weight.

but then again, just straight out of the box, 40g is a dirt clod stuck to the downtube amount of weight.

ive got a small rant about indexed shifters.. they're all indexed, one click equals one shift. it might feel like you're shifting through mashed potatoes, but it moves the same amount every time. theres no missing it or anything. i thought my X9 shifters felt great, but in reality the end result was identical to my deore shifters. click, shift. If you want to pay more for "feel", its your cash. nothing wrong with having nice stuff, but tangibly it'll all work perfect... not that slx is going to be a let down.

you gotta have a strong rear d to keep the chain from slapping around everywhere, but slx comes in shadow with a stiff spring too. too much quality/weight overlap with slx and xt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    if i remember right, slx arms were pretty close to... xtr! i think the arms were actually lighter than xt, the rings, and bash on the double, adding the weight.

but then again, just straight out of the box, 40g is a dirt clod stuck to the downtube amount of weight.

ive got a small rant about indexed shifters.. they're all indexed, one click equals one shift. it might feel like you're shifting through mashed potatoes, but it moves the same amount every time. theres no missing it or anything. i thought my X9 shifters felt great, but in reality the end result was identical to my deore shifters. click, shift. If you want to pay more for "feel", its your cash. nothing wrong with having nice stuff, but tangibly it'll all work perfect... not that slx is going to be a let down.

you gotta have a strong rear d to keep the chain from slapping around everywhere, but slx comes in shadow with a stiff spring too. too much quality/weight overlap with slx and xt.
    Yep, the SLX arms are lighter than XTR. The extra weight is in chainrings. There's a post in the 29er section on this...the argument being a rider will wear out rings and can just upgrade to lighter rings later.

wuss
    You should also remember that Shimano has claimed slx is stiffer then The 2010 xt. I really think it's a no-brainer, the only reason I got xt for my bike was color coordination.