banned

New question here. Opinions on Hope xc and Bulb hubs?

What do you guys think of these hubs from Hope? They seem to be priced just right and have gotten good reviews. What about rear hub performance? Long term durability? Sealing, and finally, serviceability by the user? The weights are just about the same, so is it worth the upcharge to the Bulb series?

banned
    Surely there are some with long term opinions of their Hope hubs?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Try the "wheel & tire" board, probably better response. I'm considering a pair myself, they sure are "purdy"....

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What do you guys think of these hubs from Hope? They seem to be priced just right and have gotten good reviews. What about rear hub performance? Long term durability? Sealing, and finally, serviceability by the user? The weights are just about the same, so is it worth the upcharge to the Bulb series?

i've got two Bulb front hubs in the 20mm setup. working fine. no problems. i guess the best thing i can say is i've never had a problem, though the oldest is only less than a year. seem to be smooth and nicely sealed bearings. what else can you ask about a front?

i've got one Bulb rear, which i've only been on for less than a year as well. same thing. no problems so far. not as fast engaging as a King or Hadley, but also cheaper. faster than most other hubs out there. i've not taken it apart to check it out yet, as i've not had a reason to. i have looked at the online stuff for directions on the Hope site; seems like everything would be pretty straightforward, if i needed to.

my only concern would be spare small parts, if needed. seems like Hope has enough presence in the US now though that it isn't really much of a worry. i've got no experience with the XC version, so don't know if the Bulbs are that much nicer. If you ever wanted the option to run 20mm forks i'd say to get the Bulb at least in front. it can run 20mm or qr by swapping the outer cones, which runs and additional $20-25 - and you don't have to buy that part unless you want to swap the hub.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Get out of town!
    I have mine laced to DT Swiss 4.1 D's rims, wheelsmith spokes.... Anyway I have used them for a little over 8 months now and have had no problems. I run a bulb on the back and a XC on the front. Very durable (have one race season on them and have even taken the bike on some moderate DH trails in Snowshoe, WV.) so I don't think you can go wrong. Plus they look nice
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    I'm still undecided about the Bulb vs XC in the back. I am siding towards the Bulb front because I can convert it to 20mm anytime, but I'm not seeing what would justify the extra expense for a Bulb rear yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I like em

I've got a set of Ti-Glides, which has the same design/internals as the XC, that are at least 5 yrs old. I recently replaced the bearings in the rear hub with some replacements from Phil Wood. I called Hope(US) and they promptly sent me new pawls and springs free of charge; they have good servicing information on their website, and the hubs themselves are extremely easy to take apart. I will definitely buy another set of Hopes...

ballbuster

Got a set of XCs

... and so far, no issues.

I finally serviced the freehub, and it was a piece of cake, other than the springs flying off into orbit when the freehub slid out. Gotta watch that next time. It seemed a little under-lubed from the factory. I cleaned out all the parts, put it all back together and lubed it up with a nice film of light synthetic grease, and it is now buttery smooth.

Enagagement isn't super fast. It seems a bit faster than my old XT hubs, but not by a lot.

The best thing I can say about them is that they are nice and stiff. I used to have disc brake rubbing issues in the corners with my XTs that disapeared when I swapped wheels.

banned
    checked out their tech page and they seem pretty simple and if I'm not mistaken, the disassembly of the rear end is done without specialized tools. If that's the case, these are the hubs I've been looking for. Not heavy, not light (law of diminishing returns), durable, simple, great customer service, and mostly maintenance free.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    the bulbs have 36 engagement points, the xc 24. bulbs are ti freehub and xc is steel.

banned
    Well, since weight difference is so insignificant, would the 24 engagement points be something significantly worse than the 36? Torque capacity?

And this raises one question-say if at a later time I wanted to upgrade to the 36, is it doable in a XC?

banned
    In addition to the above questions, I wonder why Hopes are such a hidden gem in the industry. Good looks and finish, decent pricing, good construction, reliability, and user serviceability without specialized tools.

~~~~~~~~
    two wheels with bulb fronts and one with an xc rear, lots of wet abuse for a couple years now. I've done some maintenance on them, popped the seals on the front with a 20mm adaptor and the grease had been replaced with a local clay. Cleaned them and regreased them but it looks like it contaminated again kind of soon. One wheel that is older but spent most of it's life in 9mm mode looked much better inside when I opened the seals. Suspicious now that the 20mm setup lets stuff in.

did the rear freehub maintenance when it started feeling a lttle rough, was worried that I'd hosed some bearings, but it feels fine after the relube. Couldn't see any reason to pay up for the bulb rear, wasn't aware of the different number of pawls. Thought I researched it before buying and the only difference was the freehub body material.

I'll need to buy some new bearings and I'm wondering how much and who I should get them from...

We want... a shrubbery!
    I've got the Hope Bulb up front and in the back... built the bike up in May, so yea, 5 months and not a single problem. I've done 2 races on them (12 Hours of Lodi and 24 Hours of Big Bear) and I'm getting ready for another one this weekend. Great hubs, and yea... I got these because there was no way I could afford the Kings, and the 36pt engagement is plenty fast for me. Good hubs, I really recommend them. Oh yea, and the Hope rear is pretty loud--it doesn't hum like a king, but it's definitely loud; I kinda like it, but that's up to personal opinion...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus
    the bulbs have 36 engagement points, the xc 24. bulbs are ti freehub and xc is steel.
    If that's the case then the bulbs should have quicker engagement.

Now I have to wonder if they feel more like XT or like Kings....

Burning Burner

Idea! HOPE small parts

For all your HOPE needs, there is this great e-shop in UK, www.chainreactioncycles.com
    They stock all the products and small parts and have a direct connection with HOPE UK.

Stamatis

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    two wheels with bulb fronts and one with an xc rear, lots of wet abuse for a couple years now. I've done some maintenance on them, popped the seals on the front with a 20mm adaptor and the grease had been replaced with a local clay. Cleaned them and regreased them but it looks like it contaminated again kind of soon. One wheel that is older but spent most of it's life in 9mm mode looked much better inside when I opened the seals. Suspicious now that the 20mm setup lets stuff in.

did the rear freehub maintenance when it started feeling a lttle rough, was worried that I'd hosed some bearings, but it feels fine after the relube. Couldn't see any reason to pay up for the bulb rear, wasn't aware of the different number of pawls. Thought I researched it before buying and the only difference was the freehub body material.

I'll need to buy some new bearings and I'm wondering how much and who I should get them from...
    Have you called Mike Garcia @ oddsandendos.com?

Get out of town!

You also might want to consider one of these

Hella Olde
    I had a ti-glide in around '97- still rolls fine) and moved to Bulbs in +/- 99 or 2000. I had F and R Bulbs theat I ran with zero issues and zero maintenance (lazy me, but none needed) all year round, doing epic rides (Downieville) all year round and every DH race I could get to. I can't say enough about their hubs although I have soured on their race support (lack thereof lately) and hence the brakes. Bulbs are one of the best hubs on the market and I compare them very favorably to Kings (XC, pre-20mm) and Hadleys (my current hubs). My bike was stolen (with the Bulbs) almost 1 year ago, and thru a fluke I came across it for sale on Craigslist TODAY! Hopefully I will have my bulbs back tomorrow. I'll let you know how they held up (bike was stolen by a homeless crackhead, god knows where it's been over the year!)
    Last edited by DH40; 10-22-2005 at 12:51 AM.

Hella Olde
    Recovered my stolen bike, so, yeah, Bulbs are great!

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    Recovered my stolen bike, so, yeah, Bulbs are great!
    Werd

Hella Olde
    Yeah....stoked....but now I have a DH Bullit, a Turner DHR, and the rigid hardtail with slicks I've been commuting on. Weird thing is I am most at home on the HT now. If they had a fully rigid class in DH racing I'd do it.