In my mind, I can do it!

One more time on shifter wiring..

I posted on this problem before and since then have learned more about it but also caused more questions. I have a new shifter for my old bike but there doesn't appear to be any place to run the shifting wire. No holes, no plugs, nothing. I can't figure out how the wire is supposed to be threaded through the shifter. I took a lot of pictures so maybe someone can tell something.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (146.6 KB, 140 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (148.3 KB, 147 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (165.2 KB, 138 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (133.9 KB, 139 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (190.6 KB, 140 views)

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I posted on this problem before and since then have learned more about it but also caused more questions. I have a new shifter for my old bike but there doesn't appear to be any place to run the shifting wire. No holes, no plugs, nothing. I can't figure out how the wire is supposed to be threaded through the shifter. I took a lot of pictures so maybe someone can tell something.

Thanks
    Rest of the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (163.8 KB, 143 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (163.8 KB, 137 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (152.1 KB, 133 views)

-> SickLines.com <-
    There should be a small plastic type screw on the opposite side of where the gear cable comes out of that you might have to remove to get to the cable. Also the cable won't come out if you don't have it in the lowest gear(1 in the front, 8 in the back).

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    There should be a small plastic type screw on the opposite side of where the gear cable comes out of that you might have to remove to get to the cable. Also the cable won't come out if you don't have it in the lowest gear(1 in the front, 8 in the back).
    I didn't see any plastic screw or any plug on the opposite of where the cable comes out. Do you see it in one of the pictures?

-> SickLines.com <-
    I didn't see any plastic screw or any plug on the opposite of where the cable comes out. Do you see it in one of the pictures?

I dont' see it in any of the pictures (not sure if theres one missing or what. The easy way to find out where its supposed to come out is to again put it in the lowest gear (1Front) then gently move the cable in/out until you hear it hitting the side of the shifter. This is where it comes out at. It might be that the lx 8speed might need to have one of those pannels removed to get it out.

Chrome Toaster
    I would guess you need ti remove the bottommost plastic panel.

Freshly Fujified

Try this

Here are some diagrams from the Shimano web site:

LX Shifter exploded:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830539745.pdf

LX Dual Control Lever exploded:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830539731.pdf

if you have the shifter only, you're looking for #3, "Inner Hole Cap"

I can't quite tell what it is on the shifter/lever combo, but i think it's #9, Release lever fixing bolt.

I had a difficult toime finding it on my XT shifter/brake lever combo, but it's definitely there.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    I would guess you need ti remove the bottommost plastic panel.
    I think that is about the only option I have. There is definately no screw or cap covering a hole for the cable to slide through. I hate to remove that cover because I don't know what may pop out. I have ruined a couple of shifters trying to take the bottom cap off before. Oh well, it ain't no good to me without a cable. If I break it, I suppose I will have myself the makings of a single speed.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Here are some diagrams from the Shimano web site:

LX Shifter exploded:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830539745.pdf

LX Dual Control Lever exploded:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830539731.pdf

if you have the shifter only, you're looking for #3, "Inner Hole Cap"

I can't quite tell what it is on the shifter/lever combo, but i think it's #9, Release lever fixing bolt.

I had a difficult toime finding it on my XT shifter/brake lever combo, but it's definitely there.

Clyde
    Its not the same version. Those schematics are for the 570 9 speed shifters. These are old 8 speed LX shifters.

Chrome Toaster
    I think that is about the only option I have. There is definately no screw or cap covering a hole for the cable to slide through. I hate to remove that cover because I don't know what may pop out. I have ruined a couple of shifters trying to take the bottom cap off before. Oh well, it ain't no good to me without a cable. If I break it, I suppose I will have myself the makings of a single speed.
    I doubt you'll ruin it. That bottom cap with the phillips screw right in the middle looks like it was designed to be easily taken off for no other puspose.