mtbr member

Older style shifter cables

This question is about a road bike, figured you guys could help me just the same.

I have a quite old Ventura Custom Road bike I am rebuilding and I want to reuse its stem shifters. The only problem is the nipple on the cables are none that I have seen before. Being a older bike I would guess that newer bikes simply dont use the style any more. The end the the cable is flat compared to a normal shifter cable. Any help with links to where I can buy these online would be helpful.

Also the derailleurs are completely rusted solid. The bike is a 10 speed, 2 gears in the front 5 in the back. I believe this would be a correct replacement for the rear http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx, Can anyone confirm? Its the correct style and handles 5 to 7 speed. I am assuming it will work with the stem mounted shifters I have. I need to give the front derailleur and better look to figure out what I need.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    The end the the cable is flat compared to a normal shifter cable.

I believe this would be a correct replacement for the rear http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx, Can anyone confirm? Its the correct style and handles 5 to 7 speed.
    The cable end is flat and round ? Friction ? I believe that you need a friction [non SIS] cable .The derailleur you linked will work with a friction setup , as long as you dont allready have a derailluer hanger .

mtbr member
    The original derialleur was bolted onto the sliding drop out. The frame has no built in hanger.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Good to go with that derailluer pick as long as you are using friction shifters .

mtbr member
    Oh to answer your other question yes they are flat and round. The shifter cables I own have a more barrel shaped nipple, but the ones that came out of the shifters on the road bike are flat and round so the slide into a slot.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Friction , should be easy to source .

I used to have shifters like that a long time ago...this cable would work http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...d=166741515473
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I used to have shifters like that a long time ago...this cable would work http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...d=166741515473
    Cool thanks.

Its a tiny picture, but the end on the left side looks to be what I would need.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

I didn't use the picture, my eyes aren't that good, it was the worded description and that derailleurs and shifters like that were pretty common on old 10 speeds (at least a few I had).
    suum quique

AZ
    banned
    I didn't use the picture, my eyes aren't that good, it was the worded description and that derailleurs and shifters like that were pretty common on old 10 speeds (at least a few I had).

That is similar if not the same as the ones that I use for one bike with stem shifters .

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If it looks kinda like a mini version of a MTB brake cable head, except flatter, a disc about 5mm x2mm with the wire entering at the rim, that's a Huret cable, and they're still available.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Dirt Deviant
    I just worked on a mountain bike that had suntour shifters on it, and it used those same style cables.
    i picked up some Alligator cables from pricepoint and they are double sided as well.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/158...less-Cable.htm

Zoom in on that picture. The one on the right is a brake cable, and the left one is a double sided shift cable like you need.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

From the PP ad for the Alligator cables:

Alligator Slick Stainless Cable are formed with flat surfaces for reduced friction. Pre-stretched for precise braking and shifting.

How's that flat surface thing work?
    suum quique

Dirt Deviant
    Good question.
    I don't know.........I'm assuming that the cable strands are made of a more modular flat wire, rather than a round wire.
    The cables look fairly normal to me.
    I personally haven't used them yet, but have put a few on buddies bikes and they work good.
    i did notice that they don't seem to stretch a bunch, as I barely had to readjust their shifting after extended use.
    The only reason I bought some of them, is they were on sale for under $1.00 a while ago and I was placing an order already......figured I'd give em a try.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Was wondering if it was more a bad translation and they were saying a coating gives it a smooth surface...and what cables stretch these days?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Was wondering if it was more a bad translation and they were saying a coating gives it a smooth surface...and what cables stretch these days?
    No, the flat surface is the result of a finished cable being re-drawn through a die essentially squashing the round outer wires to form a flatter exterior profile. Jagwire uses the same or a similar process.

To understand what that's about, put 7 pennies (rich folks can use quarters, or Anthony dollars) together to form a hexagon with one of them in the middle. Now imagine if that were squashed down into a circle with the outer pennies pushed in and bulged against their neighbors.

The advantage is smoother running in housings, the draw back (no-pun) is reduced flexibility and shorter life due to metal fatigue.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.