mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Older Saint cranks...

ok...i have some older saint cranks, that were being used on a bmx bike, a 68mm bb shell, 1 spacer on the drive side, 2 on the non-drive side...

i want to use this on my new to me mountain bike...i got the cranks and bottom bracket out off the mountain bike, and it's using a 73mm bottom bracket (octalink), so i'm assuming it has a 73mm bb shell...

if i were to use the saints, i should only be using 1 spacer on the drive side correct? since the bb shell is 5mm larger, I'm supposed to loose 2 of the 2.5mm spacers...

is this all?

reason being, i got the saint external cups on and the spindle is too short...i cannot get the other arm on enough to use the crank bolt at all.

am i missing something???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, 1 drive side spacer unless you're running a bb-mounted chain guide or e-type front derailleur. Measure the shell width to make sure it's 73mm and not 83mm (unlikely unless it's a DH frame). Check that the deep-cup Saint bottom bracket threads all the way into the shell and is for 73mm not 83mm (otherwise the center plastic tube will be too long). Make sure the crank is all the way in - I usually give it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet - and that it's not hanging up on anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you. I was able to get it all sorted out yesterday. The small chainring didn't fit with the external bb. Thanks.