mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Old-Style Shimano Rapidfire Shifters

I currently have SRAM shifters on my bike and hate the thumb-thumb (thumb for both upshifting and downshifting) shifters. My old setup had LX rapidfire shifters that used your trigger fingers to upshift and thumbs to downshift. From what I've seen, Shimano has changed this with their new shifters and gone to Sram-style thumb-thumb. I want the old-style. Anyone have any suggestions on new or old specific models that can help me? Thanks a ton!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you want to go old RF shifters, I recommend 950 XTR, or XT. They are flightdeck compatible, which I highly recommend. May as well go with higher end used shifters as the price difference between LX and XT/XTR isn't that much.

Otherwise, the current XT or XTR shifters work well as you can still use your trigger finger.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well actually...OLD Shimano Rapidfire was Thumb-Thumb

Rapid Fire Plus went to Thumb-Trigger. The new Shimano are NOT Thumb-Thumb specific. They are dual release which allows you to use your thumb (pushing) OR your finger (pulling) to shift.

Remember, if your using a SRAM rear derailluer, you'll need to replace it with a Shimano