Steep Hill

"old stock" 500/14 Speedhub auction (currently $859)

This "old stock" speedhub auction has been coming and going for months - not sure if it is the same item or if this Aussie seller is blowing out a deep inventory.

Question to SpeedhubNate or any other Rohloff users: Is this auction worth pursuing? At what pricepoint?

I'll be buying a speedhub one way or other and my conscience tells me to buy from a dealer for gear ratio setup and the remote possibility of warranty issues.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------------------

Here is a Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 OEM2 set for auction. This hubset is brand new old stock and includes the hub with OEM2 axel plate fitted, twist grip, click box, tensioner, cables and grips. Original manual and cable routing instructions are included but not shown in the pictures. This is a disc brake hub, quick release or XC model(not threaded screw). As this product is over 2 years from the date of manufacture there is no factory warrenty from Rohloff. Please email with any Questions. Freight cost is listed below. *Please note that the hub number will be different from that in the photo*
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    It should be a good hub. The serial number is rather low, but all three of mine are below the s/n 10,000 mark and have been pretty reliable, although one (#4440) has some very minor (i.e. tolerable) oil seepage.

The improvements that have occured subsequent to the hub you're looking at was produced are improved seals, which have not only licked any oil seepage problem but eliminated half the number of main seals, and some softer shifter detent springs that "round off" the sharp feeling at the shifter. Both are retrofittable to the older hubs, but neither is a critical item (I prefer the older detents).

The only gear ratio changes are the four external cog sizes to choose from, which you can do at home.

Domestic warranty might be an issue -- Rohloff USA was tracking their hubs separately from non-US hubs -- but if you can accept the remote possiblity of requiring warranty service, and can accept having to ship the hub off to Germany should warranty work be required, then you've got nothing to worry about.

I can't comment on price -- that's up to you, and I haven't been checking out the prices lately. But I did see a low-mileage, late model hub pop up yesterday on eBay as part of a complete bike, and at the current price of less than $1000, looked like a really good deal.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Steep Hill
    I'll check out that auction, thanks again for your speedhub insight.
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **